This looks interesting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need to keep in mind that a super long smb will not stand up in a strong wind. If you do not have a strong wind, then you probably do not need a super long smb.

A 6 feet, fat smb is probably adequate for most signaling. Hard to keep a 10 footer up...

They recommend attaching a 4# weight to the bottom so it will stand up straight at the surface. Something like this is probably bigger then most people need but if you like to carry a SMB & lift bag you could do both jobs with just one item.

They recommend attaching a 4# weight to the bottom so it will stand up straight at the surface. Something like this is probably bigger then most people need but if you like to carry a SMB & lift bag you could do both jobs with just one item.

4lbs isn't going to hold it straight in a strong wind. I have one from DAN, I think it may be 6 feet. I use it for a lift bag from time to time. It is used it in this video to recover a grappling hook and some nice SS chain , easy to inflate once you get the bottom opened up.

skip to 2:30 if you are curious..

[video=youtube_share;pxdCYapX7Qc]http://youtu.be/pxdCYapX7Qc[/video]

Well I ended up getting the Hollis Pathseeker jr. Reel and the 10 foot super deluxe SMB from innovative scuba concepts: INNOVATIVE SCUBA CONCEPTS | 10 FOOT CORDURA SIGNAL TUBE, SUPER DELUXE OPEN OCEAN

I know its huge, but i got a killer deal on the SMB that I couldn't pass up. I might go with a smaller carter bag if this proves to be too cumbersome in the water. Regardless, I am going to practice shooting up the SMB at depth in the local lake before I start playing with it in Cozumel.

Thanks for the info and feel free to share your opinions about the reel and SMB I purchased.

4lbs isn't going to hold it straight in a strong wind. I have one from DAN, I think it may be 6 feet. I use it for a lift bag from time to time. It is used it in this video to recover a grappling hook and some nice SS chain , easy to inflate once you get the bottom opened up.

skip to 2:30 if you are curious..

Nice video, bud! Probably..., no definitely, my favorite Stones tune (Monkey Man, aint bad either!) Pretty bold swim through on the wreck.

Nice video, bud! Probably..., no definitely, my favorite Stones tune (Monkey Man, aint bad either!) Pretty bold swim through on the wreck.

Thanks, the song was long enough to match the video clips from that day.. As for the swim through the barge... that is very easy and open and not much of a challenge- of course I am wearing a pony bottle and it is only like 75 feet deep inside the wreck.

Is the SMB made to be used as a lift bag or is it just big? Is that a small cylinder attached to the bottom of the bag?

I think it's an SMB, it has a metal eyelet at the bottom for attachment and can hold a diver, but not sure how resistant it is...
The bottle is secured with straps and connected to the SMB for inflation. It's common to have these in the UK... open and there it goes.
They have proper lift bags though. And one is also quite tall, almost SMB style. And they make their products in-house so they can tweak and develop different things on request.

The bottle is secured with straps and connected to the SMB for inflation. It's common to have these in the UK... open and there it goes.

I have never seen one like that before. Brilliant idea as long as the cylinder is not too big. Is this a single use cylinder made to fill the SMB with the exact amount of air needed?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom