Those Pesky Dive tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zodiakdiver

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have to retake Open Water 1.
I've taken it twice and i still have trouble with those
dive table questions. Anyone have a bulletproof way in how to learn them?
Is there a book, or some software. Nothing is working.
I'll be glad to email you my info if you have some materials for me.
Thanks let me know what you think.

Sincerely,
MB

Zodiakdiver:

Sincerely,
MB

If you can tell us what certification agency you're using (PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc.), I'm sure someone can help.

They're all very similar, but if you need specific advice, we'll need to know which one you're using.

Terry

If PADI Use the ERDP and forget the tables its electonic like a calculator even works on mutiple dive with SI and can even deturmine what SI you need for a repetive dive for only $20.00 you caint go wrong

If you are taking a PADI course, there should have been a sample book of questions that came with your RDP. Ensure you go over each in detail and figure out why the answers are what they are.

Work with someone experienced to ensure you get an understanding of where you are going wrong.

Bjorn

Well, you have some good answers here.

But I'm going to leave you with this thought with respect to the dive tables.

Imagine your body as a water bottle that has a small hole in it at the top and at the bottom.

Now when you put that bottle (your body) into a tub of water then it will start to fill up. The further down you push it, the faster the water fills up the bottle (this has to do with increased nitrogen loading at deeper depths). When it's full, you've reached your NDL.

Now you take that bottle out of the water it starts to drain out. This is your surface interval. So, if you decide to dive again before all of the water has drained from the bottle, you can dive only to that length of time for which the water has drained out (this is the residual nitrogen part . . . the bottle has some water left in it so you can dive only the amount of time (the air space) that is left in the bottle).

If all of the water (residual nitrogen) has drained out, then it's like a very first dive.

the K

I agree with bjorn, if it's the PADI RDP you are working with, the booklet that comes with it is extremely helpful. I enjoy teaching the tables, and if you would like to PM me I would be more than happy to work through them with you.

Matthew

I'd be delighted to do the same.

Remember, batteries die, tables don't.

the K

Go to scubatoys.com and download this. If you PM Larry, scubatoys, here on the board he will give you the free code to use it till you learn the tables. I used it even though I passed my OW test. After sitting for the winter I forgot my tables.

The Kraken:
Well, you have some good answers here.

But I'm going to leave you with this thought with respect to the dive tables.

Imagine your body as a water bottle that has a small hole in it at the top and at the bottom.

Now when you put that bottle (your body) into a tub of water then it will start to fill up. The further down you push it, the faster the water fills up the bottle (this has to do with increased nitrogen loading at deeper depths). When it's full, you've reached your NDL.

Now you take that bottle out of the water it starts to drain out. This is your surface interval. So, if you decide to dive again before all of the water has drained from the bottle, you can dive only to that length of time for which the water has drained out (this is the residual nitrogen part . . . the bottle has some water left in it so you can dive only the amount of time (the air space) that is left in the bottle).

If all of the water (residual nitrogen) has drained out, then it's like a very first dive.

the K

Great Job Kraken, that was the simplest way of explaining the effects of nitrogen in diving....:)...Kudos to you brother

Zodiakdiver:

Sincerely,
MB

The big question here is - who's teaching you the dive tables? Seriously, I have taught tables to every age/disposition imaginable and everyone can get through the tables with the proper guidance & mentoring.

Back
Top Bottom