thoughts before the dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hilti

Reaction score
I know alot of the time before I dive as I "jump the fence" and decide to dive I'm thinking about what I'll do during the dive, and I was wondering what goes through the minds of other true (by true I mean that there are no other dive operations around, or where the dive is remote enough that there aren't any other people around either~ maybe it's the wrong word, but you'll hopefully understand what I mean) solo divers before they enter the water. Probably fifty percent of my dives are in new areas where I don't have any previous dives or information from other divers about what will be down there, and I will confess that initially I have some jitters that make me very cautious, keeping the bottom in view all the time (I don't descend blind on any solo dive)~ it takes a few minutes before I'm "back home" ~ basically during the first drill of checking that everything is where it should be and working properly~and comfortable with the surroundings. Does anyone else "pathfind", or dive new alien sites? What are your procedures? Jim

I start the preparations even before I leave home if Im planning on doing a solo dive..
Who do I notify that Im going?
When will I be home and what action is the person(s) that know Ive gone diving to do if I havent contacted them before the set time?
How do I get in touch with someone if i get up and find myself bent?
What do I expect to find during the dive?
What do I plan to DO during the dive?
What gear do I need and am I sure its all packed?
Am I mentally and physically prepared to dive today to begin with? Lets face it, I might be ready for a solo dive one day but not the next. Both your mental and physical condition have good days and bad days.. If Im feeling out of shape or unfocused, I dont dive..
Thats only a few of the things that I tend to go through before diving solo..
As to feeling a bit of the jitters before a dive Id say is a good thing. It makes you more aware of your surroundings and actions (as long as its not on its way to panicing you of course)..

Jump the fence... I like that.

Sometimes I have to jump a fence just to get where I want to dive.
There is a bunch of Barbed Wire in Texas ya know :D
I love to dive new spots by myself and to tell the truth since I really don't know what is going to be down there when I jump in I just try to make sure everything is correct before hand. Then I lock and load and pull the pin. After that I'm pretty much into survive and explore mode. Sometimes that means relax and enjoy. Sometimes that means freek and distroy ( distroy the fear that is :wink: ) Simple things can scare you sometimes when you are by yourself or even make you laugh. Maybe even both at the same time. Especially at night. I laugh a bunch sometimes when I'm alone :rofl3:
Usually the next day I'm still laughing inside and people wonder what the heck is going on with me .
It drives my Wife nuts:D

hilti:
I know alot of the time before I dive as I "jump the fence" and decide to dive I'm thinking about what I'll do during the dive, and I was wondering what goes through the minds of other true (by true I mean that there are no other dive operations around, or where the dive is remote enough that there aren't any other people around either~ maybe it's the wrong word, but you'll hopefully understand what I mean) solo divers before they enter the water. Probably fifty percent of my dives are in new areas where I don't have any previous dives or information from other divers about what will be down there, and I will confess that initially I have some jitters that make me very cautious, keeping the bottom in view all the time (I don't descend blind on any solo dive)~ it takes a few minutes before I'm "back home" ~ basically during the first drill of checking that everything is where it should be and working properly~and comfortable with the surroundings. Does anyone else "pathfind", or dive new alien sites? What are your procedures? Jim

Great question, Jim!

I have a bad habit of ignoring "worst case" scenarios when contemplating a riskier solo dive.

Instead, stupid thoughts keep coming to my mind about how great this dive will be or how disappointed I'll be if I chicken out, etc.

Luckily, common sense usually returns when I remind myself how many dive accidents are ridiculously unnecessary and that everybody will be saying, "What was he thinkin'?"

I guess it's fear of embarrassment that usually saves me from myself!

That's not to say I haven't found myself after a dive saying, "That really wasn't very smart!" :11: (Expletives deleted)

Anyway, prior to these more risky and 'truly' solo dives, I definitely take my time to think through the pro's and con's and try to be as objective as possible.

That might mean I'll sit at the dive site for a good long time observing conditions and contemplating the obstacles to self-rescue.

If I go ahead and start the dive and it becomes quite challenging and causes some "jitters", I'll take a break on the bottom for a couple minutes to look around, think, consider a safer dive plan or to consider aborting.

I'll tell you one thing, if all the "jitters" don't go completely away after taking that break, I change my dive plan to reduce the risk.

I know myself pretty well and my decision-making ability doesn't get along very well with "jitters", so I try not to mix the two. :D

Dave C

I normally do not solo at a site which is new. This is one of the several general rules of solo. Its in the book, and its in the course too.

Therefore I normally visualize the dive, based on the last time I dove the site.

I then make sure I have all the gear I need to address any contingency.

I also scrutinize the ocean and weather forecasts to make sure conditions will be ideal. Another rule of solo is to avoid less than ideal conditions.

Then I charge up both batteries (bat-trees, as A.G. calls them!), test the scooter, and away I go!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom