Thoughts on a new computer function

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Poseidon M28 will surface deco on air BUT if I then switch to 100% it will continue to calculate on that gas.

The Cochran computers allow surface gas selection along with a genuine time to elevation counter. That’s to accommodate military divers who may need to fly somewhere shortly after dives but will suit for our purpose as well.
So.. Poseidon and Cochran computers already have the feature? Sounds like a no-brainer for shearwater then, they should add the feature. They're supposed to be all about putting the tool into the divers hand and letting the diver decide what is best/safest.

Scubapro also has this on their current line of computers, we found out when customers came back in asking what the little mountains and level indicator means. Unfortunately they just give you a level number and then you have to reference the manual to find out what altitude range that level represents.

Scubapro also has this on their current line of computers, we found out when customers came back in asking what the little mountains and level indicator means. Unfortunately they just give you a level number and then you have to reference the manual to find out what altitude range that level represents.
Are you sure you're talking about the same thing this thread is about?

Without having read the SPro manuals, i would guess, that the mountain symbols with levels are rather for selecting the altitude range, when you are diving at elevation and not showing to which elevation you can safely go, which is what one of the aspects was about.

I am happy to hear that I am wrong.

This is on page #23.

3.6.3 Prohibited altitude Ascent to altitude class 3 and 4 is prohibited. Maximum allowed altitude: 2650m/8694ft.

WARNING
At the surface, the Aladin Sport shows, via flashing altitude class number, the altitude to which you may not rise. The ascent prohibition is displayed together with the current altitude class.

Example: You are at 1200m/3937ft (altitude class 1) and you may ascend to class 2 only (2650m/8694ft). You may not rise to the altitude classes 3 or 4.

So it does tell you when you can ascend to different altitudes, divided into 5 classes (0-4). It is separate from their no-fly indicator.

It also affects your diving at altitude, because it takes into effect how long you have been at that altitude prior to the dive. If you have not been there for a sufficient length of time, your dive will be treated as a repetitive dive.

Interesting. I did not know any computers currently did either of those functions.

Did not know that this was available either. Interesting.

I´m not too happy with the graphical solution, e.g.: 0-3 (with a blinking 3) meaning you are not allowed to go to level 3, since I think it could easily be misinterpreted, but that´s the problem of the user, knowing his computer.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom