Thoughts on Air Integrated (hoseless) computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottBuck

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been looking in to getting a new computer and am interested in the AI (hoseless transmitters). So I am interested in hearing the pros and cons of the AI from all you more informed divers.

I like to have both. I use an AI wrist computer, as well as a SPG. The AI computer lets me look at variances in gas consumption on my electronic dive profile, while I like the reliabilty and redundancy of a back-up SPG. (although to be honest, I also dive with 3 computers - so I may not be representative to the norm)

I like the oceanic wireless system, I have the Atom 2.0.
Rarely do I have an issue reading pressure, and when I do its only for a second or two in really crappy water. I do not like the Sunnto wireless system, it requires you to "sync" your computer to your tank transmitter every time you pressure up your regs. The oceanic system, you program your transmitter once, and it remembers it by serial number.

I also think the wireless transducer has less failure points that can cause a loss of gas over an SPG. I think you have a greater chance to loosing the pressure reading, but not of loosing gas. I can just turn a dive if I loose the pressure reading without a major issue, but have yet to have it happen. I have seen 2 HP hoses blow out to date.

I can just turn a dive if I loose the pressure reading without a major issue

You can just turn the dive without a major issue if your HP hose blows too.:D Not that you want any gear failure to ever happen! A blown HP hose is not catastrophic (unless you were on the edge of a out of gas state anyway). The hp hose does not drain the tank as quickly as many people think. We took an AL80 to 60' with 700 psi and cut the hp hose (it ain't easy to cut those buggers, we had to use bolt cutters!). It took just under 9 minutes to drain the tank. If you are wondering why we would do such a thing, this is what happens when cave divers disagree when playing "what if" (I lost the bet, I thought it would drain in less than a minute).

I have never had to turn a dive for either reson, but have had to turn the dive a couple of times because my wife had an AI computer that would turn off fairly quickly if you did not get in the water fast enough (no water activation), and would not turn on in the water, so we had to come back up to turn on her computer. I would suggest only getting computers that have the option of water activation.

I just don't see the point of AI computers, and I'm a gear junky. I don't see the need to be checking my gas from minute to minute, and they don't seem to bring any other advantages to the table for me.

LOVE my SOL would never go back to hoses. Gives me plenty of info that I actually use.

Doug, you are correct, the leak is very slow. If you look at a HP fitting it is only a pin hole. However, gas loss is still gas loss.

I have suunto vyper air. Love it. Display is great and very easy to use. Info is presented in a logical and easy to understand Way. As with any computer, you MUST read and understand the manual. It is not just hook up and go. Yes, suunto must be synced before every dive, but it only takes a second and ensures that you do not exchange data with anyone else. That is the reason for sync before every dive. Once synched, it works perfectly. Just consider it a part of your predive check.

Yeah, with the oceanic, you don't need to do anything before the dive. And there is no way to get mixed up with someones tank. Just punch in your transmitter serial number when you buy it (actually I think its factory set) and you never need to touch it again.

Back
Top Bottom