Thoughts on Air Integrated (hoseless) computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i'd say i'm happy with the oceanic datamask...

I just don't see the point of AI computers, and I'm a gear junky. I don't see the need to be checking my gas from minute to minute, and they don't seem to bring any other advantages to the table for me.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Why would you feel the need to check the AI computer more often (minute to minute) than any other way of tracking your air/gas supply?

I like AI computers; either hosed or hoseless. I like the way it can calculate my air consumption on the go. Yes, I know what my SAC rate is. Yes, I can plan & calculate in order to know how long I can be down at a certain depth while still have enough air left to surface and do safety stop plus safety reserve. HOWEVER, when I dive, I don't stay at one depth. I go wherever the scenery takes me and frankly I don't feel like having to stop in the middle of the dive and whip out the slate to recalculate my remaining air time by hand. I'm a recreational diver and I dive for fun. I prefer to spend my time diving instead of air managing.

I have recently gotten myself Oceanic VT3 hoseless AI computer and I love it so much. I have 3 transmitters and have attached one to my single tank reg, second to my double tanks reg and third to my son's reg so I can always check his pressure by buddy pressure check function. This buddy pressure check function is kind of a joke as takes at least 10 sec and you really have to hold your wrist a feet from your buddy transmitter. Honestly, just looking at my son's SPG would be easier but not technologically advanced. :DThe funny thing is that if you look at you air consumption right after you put some air in you BC, the value stays unrealistically low until VT3 performs next sampling. In any case, I love this computer but always have regular SPG as back up. I also have Delta VR3 on my second wrist as I am in love with tech toys since I am working for IT:wink:

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Why would you feel the need to check the AI computer more often (minute to minute) than any other way of tracking your air/gas supply?

From what people seem to be saying in these discussions, having immediate, continuous access to their remaining gas pressure seems to be a main draw of AI, along with one less hose. I'm just saying I don't see the need--unclipping my SPG every 10 minutes or so seems adequate for me.

From what people seem to be saying in these discussions, having immediate, continuous access to their remaining gas pressure seems to be a main draw of AI, along with one less hose. I'm just saying I don't see the need--unclipping my SPG every 10 minutes or so seems adequate for me.

Nothing wrong with that. I prefer having all the information I might need in one place, and I prefer that one place to be my wrist. I find it especially convenient because I often have a camera with me and don't have to deal with clipping or unclipping anything. It is just personal preference and is well worth the extra cost to me to have an air integrated wrist computer.

I suspect that most people who don't see the point or the value of an air integrated wrist computer have never used one. I haven't used Suunto, for which I gather you have to do some sort of linking ritual before each dive, but I find the Oceanic/Aeris air integrated wrist computers to be convenient and reliable, and can't see going back to a console.

The linking ritual for Suunto is trivial. Place the computer near the tank when you turn the pressure on and it "pairs." It stays paired for two hours or until pressure falls below 10 bar.

I use the Aeris T3 and it hasn't failed me yet. I also have a spg just in case something happens, but as of yet haven't had that problem. (knock on a whales bottom) Knowing how much bottom time I have left at anytime is a nice feature. The T3 calculates it every time it takes a pressure reading. I can also read 3 different tanks on mine with the addition of 2 more sending units. The bottom line is that having all the info in one spot is nice, but it's all a personal thing.

The linking ritual for Suunto is trivial. Place the computer near the tank when you turn the pressure on and it "pairs." It stays paired for two hours or until pressure falls below 10 bar.

What if your dive is two hours long? Or is that two hours on the surface?

I had trouble with my Oceanic AI, but I have never had an interruption in my Uwatec link.

When I am on a trip doing recreational dives I only use this. If the link fails, I can always rent a console/SPG. The computer will still work fine (it has yet to have any problems in 4 years with this model).

Still, if I'm doing deco I have an SPG stowed on me. I love some of the advantages the computer gives me, but I still like the security of a mechanical device when more is riding on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom