Thoughts on DGX back plate and wing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was planning to buy a SS plate with the HOG or DGX setup. Not sure if the HOG plate is much heavier than the DGX or not. I'd consider the smaller 23# wing from Hog, but then it would limit to aluminum only tanks, so was leaning towards the 32 or the DGX 30. I was also planning to go the minimalist route with the Hog and just get the plate, wing, and basic straps.
Or one more option I haven't seen much discussion on is the Golem combo.

Oh yeah, on another note. The 30lbs wing is more than enought to carry a steel backplate and a 15l steel tank, lamp, regulators and fins. So don't worry about the size of the wing.

However, I havent tested the buoyancy with added weight since the 2.3kg steel plate is enough for freshwater dives with a 12l narrow steel tank. With a 12l stubby or a 15l it works perfectly.

Yup. I’ve done several dives with a HP120 and AL40 with my 32lb wing. There’s plenty of lift to spare even when hauling up an additional few lbs of goodies (meg teeth).

The Vintage Double Hose Argonaut wings are really nice. The DGX wing is nice, but I think the VDH wings are a bit nicer.

And, if you don't need more lift, you can get an 18 or 23 # wing from VDH. I have the 18 and 35# wings from VDH and that 18 is The Bomb for warm water diving. Even if you just go with the 35, it may sound big, but it is SO streamlined you'd never know it is a 35# wing. I think it is more streamlined than the HOG 23# wing which I also have.

Store | Vintage Double Hose

If I needed a plate or a wing, I would not hesitate to buy a DGX branded one. Their line of products seems just as good as the competition, their prices tend to be better, and their customer service is excellent.

My wife was recently in the market for small size plate. DGX was the first place we contacted...unfortunately they do not carry small size plates, so we purchased elsewhere...but had they had one, we most likely would have purchased through them.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom