Thoughts on diver certification plan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamerson

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all:

I would appreciate any (constructive) thoughts on a plan I am considering.

I currently find myself with the money and a limited but sufficient time period to obtain my PADI Divemaster certification. I really enjoy diving and am not bad at it but have not been doing it for years on end.

Anyway, the circumstances are that I currently have 28 logged dives and my Advanced Open Water certification. Obviously, that's a long way from even the 60 required dives (bare minimum) to get a divemaster certification. I also lack the Rescue Diver certification. However, I've talked to at least one dive center in Miami that says that they can organize a course around my time frame (about 3 weeks) to do the certification. I would really enjoy doing the course, mainly because I want to improve my skills and learn - on a deeper level - just what the heck's going on down there. I would also like the freedom of being able to rent my own tanks and do some VERY conservative solo dives around my house. However, I'm not looking to jump right into leading groups or making money from it, etc..

So my questions are as follows:

1) Is this simply too intensive of a schedule - diving between 2 to 3 x a day for ~ 2 weeks plus taking the theory courses, etc ? (I have done multiple dive trips in Malpelo about 4 a day for ~ a week w/o complaints..)

2) I thought that I would have the PADI rescue cert. before leaving but now thatŽ´s changed. What does this consist of?

3) Upon getting a divemaster cert., can I rent tanks from a dive shop for solo dives?

Thanks for the feedback!

Jam

I think it's a VERY agressive schedule. That's not to say it can't be done but it will be tight. The Rescue diver course is intensive but can be done in 2 to 3 days. Rescue will make you a better diver by showing you what can go wrong and how to deal with it. In doing so, you will become a more confidant diver. You will also need a current EFR card for divemaster. As far as renting tanks, you should be able to rent tanks now with your AOW. PADI does not however offer any certification that endorses solo diving. I would really think twice about solo diving even "conservative" solo dives.

Nothing wrong with that schedule for just diving. But I'd slow down on the Divemaster thing. As you say, the 60 dives required to get DM is a bare minimum. And while you can get in the required number of dives, you won't be gaining that much experience in 3 weeks. While plenty of places will be happy to take your money and get you certified quickly, that doesn't mean it's a good idea. And most people seem to think 60 isn't nearly enough, never mind 3 weeks. Now there may be the occasional person that is ready then, but I'd guess they're few and far between. Honestly, if you're asking questions like what is included in Rescue, thinking DM is what trains you to solo dive - well there's nothing wrong with those questions from a new diver but the fact that you're asking them indicates to me you're not anywhere near ready to be entering a DM program.

The main point of Divemaster is to train you do stuff like assist in training and lead dives, not to increase your skills or learn what's going on down there. Yes you will undoubtedly learn some things but if you're looking to increase your personal skills and knowledge there are better ways to do it. Like just diving more, reading, or taking other classes that line up with your interests. Definitely take Rescue. Take a Nitrox class. Research other courses. You might want to consider something like NAUI Master Diver. (Not PADI Master Diver, but no problem taking these classes from different agencies.)

Divemaster has nothing to do with being allowed to solo dive. As long as you have a OW card a shop will rent you tanks. Unless you're diving from their boat or premises they don't know if you're going to dive solo or what you're going to do with them. There is specific solo diver training that you can take. But again, most people will say it's too soon for you to be considering that. Another thing about Divemaster is that you would then be a professional. An often discussed topic is if there are expectations of dive professionals when something happens, even if they are not working in a professional capacity. Certainly if you did work you need to be looking at carrying insurance.

After having typed all that, I sure hope this isn't a troll...

............... I currently find myself with the money and a limited but sufficient time period to obtain my PADI Divemaster certification. I really enjoy diving and am not bad at it but have not been doing it for years on end......I currently have 28 logged dives and my Advanced Open Water certification.....
Definitely a good moment to be thinking about doing your Rescue Diver course. I am not really sure why you want to do the Divemaster course at this early stage in your diving or what you think you may gain from it. Could you elaborate a bit more?

So my questions are as follows:

1) Is this simply too intensive of a schedule - diving between 2 to 3 x a day for ~ 2 weeks plus taking the theory courses, etc ? (I have done multiple dive trips in Malpelo about 4 a day for ~ a week w/o complaints..)
Yes it is. I cannot recommend you to follow that path to go from AOW with 28 logged dives to Divemaster.

2) I thought that I would have the PADI rescue cert. before leaving but now thatŽ´s changed. What does this consist of?
Not easy to give a short answer.

The purpose of the Rescue Diver coure is to train you to act correctly in a wide variation of possible scenarios that can happen. It stresses "self rescue", i.e. do not endanger your own life or health to rescue another person. It then goes on to give you proper training as to how to deal with tired divers, divers in panic, unconscious divers and so on.

It is mandatory that you complete a CPR and First Aid training course before you can be certified as a Rescue Diver. Most PADI shops will train you through Emergency First Response, a PADI Affiliate. There are other options including ARC and DAN. The EFR course will teach you that it is always better to intervene than to do nothing. It is a training that will help you deal with everyday emergencies as well as diving related ones. I strongly recommend that you ask for AED training with your course. You will have to renew every two years.

3) Upon getting a divemaster cert., can I rent tanks from a dive shop for solo dives?
Absoutely not. PADI does not support "solo diving" in any form, shape or manner. As far as I know, the only recreational scuba agency that has a formal teaching program for solo diving is SDI. If remember rightly, the minimum requirement for entering an SDI Solo Diving program is 100 logged dives. The SDI Solo Diving Program stresses redundancy. In other words, since you would be diving without a buddy, you would take additional air supplies and equipment with you in case of a malfunction or emergency. You will find it very difficult to find an LDS who will rent you tanks to go solo diving, unless you are known to them, you have an SDI SD card and they are confident in your skills and abilities to return unharmed. Although it is a joke in perhaps very poor taste, the most common comment from the owners when someone asks to rent equipment to solo dive is:"OK and if something happens to you, how do I get my tanks back?". :D
Thanks for the feedback!
I think you should go and do your Rescue course and then enjoy diving with the extra confidence and knowledge you have gained before "pushing out the envelope on a schedule".

Thanks for the quick and thoughtful replies! I'm not trying to just fast track some advanced certification (although it is strangely possible). Anyway, thanks for the info. Take care - and I've absolutely no idea what a troll is..

Thanks for the quick and thoughtful replies! I'm not trying to just fast track some advanced certification (although it is strangely possible). Anyway, thanks for the info. Take care - and I've absolutely no idea what a troll is..

Jam..... in short just lay back and progress and a comfy level.....get in the dives as you continue your formal dive training. Have fun and learn from doing. I think your idea of focusing on a good Rescue diver program is a worthy spending of $ and time. Also continue to build on your own persl. gear, such as tank/s. As to eventually getting into 'solo' diving, you will know when you are ready if that is still of interest......seek out other experienced solo diver for mentorship and input to skill and equipment needs.

A troll is basically an internet forums trouble maker......you seem sincere. Though you might take time to fill in some basic bio. information, as many members will look at that for a thumbnail idea of whom you are. :)

Good luck and safe diving.

yes, you seem sincere, not a troll. I just wondered because it was your first post and it verged on the sort of post the "trouble makers" will make and then never come back.

Jamerson:

Your plan does not seem to align with your goals very well.

As I understand things - getting a DM cert is not designed to increase your skill or understanding of diving directly - it's about working with students. You said that making money as a DM is not your goal - so I dunno why you would spend the time and money obtaining this cert.

Keep in mind that dive centers exist to make money. Of COURSE they will accommodate you. That will turn your money into their money. However, this does not necessarily mean it is in your best interest to go through with a plan, just because they will help you execute it.

IMHO - having only 28 dives is pretty insufficient to undertake a DM class. If I were running PADI, I'd be inclined to set 100 dives as the minimum before even starting the DM program.

Answering your questions directly....

1) Is this simply too intensive of a schedule - diving between 2 to 3 x a day for ~ 2 weeks plus taking the theory courses, etc ?
Personally, I don't think so. If I were able to make 2-3 dives a day for 2 weeks I would love it. I wouldn't want to do it for a class though.

About 5 class sessions, 5 pool sessions, and a day of open water scenarios (4 of them). It's not hard.

When you rent tanks, no one asks you who your dive buddy is. All you need to rent tanks is a basic c-card. What you do with them and how you dive with them is your business. So, in other words, you can make solo dives no - no problem. Whether or not that is wise is a different story (esp. if you lack the equipment, such as a pony, backup mask, training, etc.).

In short - based on what you said - if I were you, I would:

a). Take a Rescue Diver & EFR class.

b). Go ahead and make all those dives - but not as part of a class, just go diving!

c). Use the money you save to buy a pony setup, second mask, etc.

Now, you have gained additional dive experience and have the equipment to maybe solo dive - all you need is more experience and a solo diver cert (the min # of dives, I believe, is 100).

Cheers!
nd

Depends on your fitness levels, etc. If you have done 4 dives a day times 7 days, that makes 28 dives. So you have only done one dive trip and this made up your total dives of 28? I am confused.

Do Rescue before you consider DM at all. See how you go managing accidents in the like as, when you are a DM, you will be responsible for taking care of other divers and people will look to you to manage accidents and be in charge.

What have you done for your other 28 dives? Have you never had to hire a tank? Your meaning is not too clear here. You can rent tanks for solo dives once you get a c-card, no one has ever asked me what I plan to do with them once I have hired them. At 28 dives I would not be considering solo diving though... have you ever had the s*** hit the fan yet? If so, how did you handle it? Solo diving is for people who are experienced and who know how to handle things when things goes bad (which is something you get better at with experience).

If you want to increase your skills, go out and dive until you have 60 dives (or more, ideally) and then see if you still want to do DM. Though seeing as you are not looking into leading groups DM is not a course that would be suitable for you. If I had a dollar for every person I knew who wanted to get a DM or instructor qualification just after they started diving and then changed their mind a few months later, I would be super rich. One person said "if you are thinking about becoming an instructor or DM, go dive with terrible and/or new divers for a few months and see how you like it".

hello all:

Thanks for the feedback. Pretty much settles the question for me. Basically talking with a guy who had just finished his dm course, I think I got the wrong impression about what the dm course really provides for a diver. Also, yeah I realized last night the math doesn't add up. I dove less than a week but wasn't my first dive location. Anyway, thanks again for the input! Yall take care!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom