Thoughts on diving the Dara?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clearwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, all.

I'll be going through Dubai on a business trip and have one day (this coming Sunday) available for diving. Pavillion Dive Centre has a trip planned that day to the MV Dara. I've read up on the wreck and it seems like it has an interesting history. I'm a new diver that has done coral reefs in the Caribbean, but this will be my first wreck dive.

The dive operator says the wreck is 16-18m deep, depending on the tide, viz is about 5m (read plenty about that searching the Dubai threads, so I'm not expecting Cozumel-like conditions), water temp currently 31C. Not too sure about current or surge.

Anybody with experience with the Dara or in the region have any tips or advice? Thanks in advance!

CW

Hi, I would say go for it.. dived it a few times and had some good dives there. It is not a massive wreck, so expect to do a few loops around it, but interesting (and a history behind it..the ship was bombed by Omani rebels and went down with quite a few souls onboard).

Other than that, you could venture across to the Musandam if there is a trip, but then you are talking a full full day from early to late...

You can find a bit of info on my site www.dubaidivers.com

Hey CW

I actuall work with PDC as an independent instructor... First and Foremost, they are truely a 5* dive center! Service is great!

I have been on the Dara over 100 times! Most of the time Visibility is sort of crappy... defenitely not cozumel quality... But if you are lucky and the conditions are favourable, you might get really good vizibility.

Things to look for: Cow Ray (pretty Huge)... Leopard Sting Rays, a whole fleet of them...

If you move a bit away from the wreck, you can run into Baracudas and Large Travellies...

You can do wreck penetration if you are certified for it... Frankly, its one of my favourite wrecks!!

Thanks for the responses, Dubai Diver and coliseum. As it turned out, the Powers That Be made some last-minute changes to plan that precluded diving the Dara. The only free day I had for diving was inside my fly time! :shakehead

I appreciate your comments about the wreck conditions and the dive centre. Hopefully on my next trip to the region I'll be able to allow more time and perhaps a trip to Musandam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom