Thoughts on my drysuit leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK, a couple days ago I made my first dive with my DC gloves installed on my drysuit. I have never had a leak in this drysuit until this dive. As soon as I got down about 6 feet underwater I noticed my left hand was wet. Then I noticed the water was trickling in. Not a wet spot, it was filling my glove. So I disgustedly ended my dive before it began and headed back home.

I thought my latex seal had a hole. I pulled the zip seal and found no problem. I inspected the DC mounting and O-ring and found no problem. I checked the glove and found no problem. I re-assembled everything, pressurized my suit and sprayed it down with soapy water. I couldn't find a single bubble forming anywhere. I even checked the entire arm and the exhaust valve. Went ahead and checked the whole suit, and found not a single bubble forming anywhere. :D

So, what are your thoughts on this leak? foriegn material in the mount? improper attachment?

I'm at a loss, but I hope to get into a pool very soon to double check.

While I can't rule that out, I don't see how to screw it up. It just "pops" on. If its not "on" it would come off pretty easy wouldn't it?

Lol, you *clearly* haven't used dry gloves for very long! :)

Yes, you can screw it up.

Tips to help:

(1) Keep the glove o-ring lubed (my wife uses DC rings- she lubes the glove side o-ring about once a month; I use ST rings- I lick the glove side o-ring every time I mount them to the suit)
(2) Check the glove o-ring for any debris (this is pretty easy when you lick it!)
(3) Apply even, slow pressure when mounting the glove (the DC ones make a distinct "click" when they mount correctly; for the [old] ST ones, you just want to work each side on a bit at a time, so that you don't slip the o-ring out of its groove)
(4) Once you mount the gloves, dunk your hands in a rinse bucket (if boat diving) or enter slowly (from shore); you can often catch a mis-mounted glove and fix it at the surface

My wife has several hundred dives on her DC rings. She's had one flood: on her first dive.

OK, thanks for the tips. I guess I'll add "lick my gloves" to my gear up procedure.

(3) Apply even, slow pressure when mounting the glove (the DC ones make a distinct "click" when they mount correctly; for the [old] ST ones, you just want to work each side on a bit at a time, so that you don't slip the o-ring out of its groove)

I refer to it as a "thunk" but the idea is the same - a distinct, repeatable sound. Something squishy and imprecise means you probably need more lube. Note that you only need a small amount of lubricant - remove the ring, wipe it dry on a lint-free cloth, clean the groove with a Q-tip, and re-apply just enough Si lube to get the surface shiny. Works like a charm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom