Thoughts on silicon grease replacement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jamdiver

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So after a recent trip i've noticed that my trusty little tube of silicon grease has gone missing :confused::confused:.

Any thoughts on a possible replacement for the Canon silicon grease?

I plan to order another tube from Canon (but that would take a few weeks to get to me) but in the interim is there anything that can substitute for this without damaging the o-rings?

Generic silicon grease available at just about any dive shop.
It doesn't have to be "Canon" branded silicon grease.

miketsp:
Generic silicon grease available at just about any dive shop.
It doesn't have to be "Canon" branded silicon grease.

Problem is they really aren't any 'dive shops' here..
I was wondering if they'd have something at a hardware shop or something??

Jam

I am sure you have a Home Depot or Lowe's near you.

I am sure they have silicon for you.

ocrmaster:
Jam

I am sure you have a Home Depot or Lowe's near you.

I am sure they have silicon for you.

Well actually I don't, but they are hardware store chains here.
I'm just curious though if anything branded silicon grease at a hardware store for example is ok for putting on O-rings.

I seem to recall reading somewhere not to get food grade silicon grease???
Really clueless here, don't want to buy something that will degrade and destroy my oring after time..

Jamdiver

Aren't you based in FL?

Jamdiver:
So after a recent trip i've noticed that my trusty little tube of silicon grease has gone missing :confused::confused:.

Any thoughts on a possible replacement for the Canon silicon grease?

I plan to order another tube from Canon (but that would take a few weeks to get to me) but in the interim is there anything that can substitute for this without damaging the o-rings?

I MUST WARN YOU ABOUT USING GENERIC PURE SILICONE GREASE

I don't know what the Canon O-rings are made of but my experience with the Oly O-rings leads me to tell you this:

The Oly O-ring is made of silicone rubber. Pure silicone grease is incompatible with it and breaks down the O-ring causing it to stretch. The Oly grease is marked on the label "Silicone grease only for silicone rubber O-rings".
That does not translate to the fact the grease is silicone grease but rather that it is grease designed for silicone rubber.

I had a professional photographer at Backscatter.com explain that to me. I don't doubt him as I used generic pure silicone grease on some of my earlier O-rings and they stretched out after about 10 uses.

Ok thank you very much for that Gilligan.
I did a search and came up with your thread on this subject I believe.
Ii'm pretty sure that the Canon O-ring is made of the same substance as the Olympus.

So should I look for a fluorosilicone based product in the interim?
What i'm really trying to get at, is there a product that you know of that is compatible with camera O-rings??

As it is my o-ring is already prepped for tomorrow's dive with the Canon silicon grease, however I do need to replace it though..

Exactly, that is why my first camera flooded. I used the "wrong" grease and it ruined the O-ring.

Sorry that it takes so long for everything to get to you....Paradise does have it's disadvantages :frown:

Back
Top Bottom