Thoughts on the Rodeo 25 Wreck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Rodeo 25 is a great little wreck. The years and storms have done some damage to her hull and she is collapsing, but still lots to see. The coral growth makes it a great place for pictures if that's your thing. She is subject to strong currents so keep that in mind. If you dive count is current, then keep in mind a deeper wreck your gas is going to go faster and especially if there is current that you are exerting yourself so make sure you watch your gauges. Have fun and enjoy.

It can be a demanding dive given the depth and current considerations. Here is a video I shot a few years back with a not real great Olympus 770 sw camera while scooter free diving the wreck. Despite the limited image quality the clip still provides an impression of the wreck.

[video=vimeo;820200]http://vimeo.com/820200[/video]

@down4fun: Thanks for the feedback. Will definitely watch the gas. We'll be diving nitrox for some extra bottom time.

It can be a demanding dive given the depth and current considerations. Here is a video I shot a few years back with a not real great Olympus 770 sw camera while scooter free diving the wreck. Despite the limited image quality the clip still provides an impression of the wreck.

Thanks Rick. Is the visibility always so crummy on this wreck?

If you never dived it, I guess it's worth the effort. Every time I've been on it, the current was ripping and the viz was lousy. If you have a PHO sticker on your tank, I'm sure that the water will be crystal-clear and the current nil.

I did this one once, the tilt of the deck combined with the ripping current and some moderate narcosis made this a rather unpleasant dive for me at the time. Lots of growth though (tons of cup corals) and I'd definitely consider doing it again.

I've only dove this one time many years ago. You can get maybe 40 mins on this wreck, and I found it to be lower vis with a strong current. Seems to me there were a lot of wrecks in the 40-80 foot range that offered a similar dive with less current and better vis (or those were my thoughts at the time).

This from my log....

Have fun and be safe.

If you never dived it, I guess it's worth the effort. Every time I've been on it, the current was ripping and the viz was lousy. If you have a PHO sticker on your tank, I'm sure that the water will be crystal-clear and the current nil.

LOL! No PHO sticker as I don't own a home there.

Thinking I may cancel this dive. Feedback I've received from numerous people and just from what I've read tells me that this isn't a great dive. Lo 'vis plus strong currents don't sound like a good time.

Appreciate the feedback. Now to find an alternative. Sigh. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom