Thoughts on the Rodeo 25 Wreck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The RODEO is a nice little dive. As Kim mentioned, the forward cargo holds have become a little twisted up and flattened over the years, but the stern superstructure is still fairly intact; this is typical of the numerous coastal freighters used as artificial reefs off South Florida. The cup coral growth is really spectacular, with heavy pink, orange, and red coral growth particularly on the stern superstructure on the north end of the site.
I don't really understand the visibility comments. This is not a unique site, and visibility issues would plague the entire area and not just this wreck. I actually have found the wrecks further to the north of Port Everglades to have better vis, as you don't have as much influence from outgoing water from the ICW and port. Visibility in the area typically drops after heavy rains and particularly around an outgoing tide, as all that green water pours out of the port, and to a lesser extent, Hillsboro Inlet. If you want something more intact or a smidge shallower, perhaps try the CAPTAIN DAN. It's less than a mile south of the RODEO.
Another alternative that you just can't go wrong with is the SEA EMPEROR-UNITED CARIBBEAN-NOULA EXPRESS. I have done this trio a bunch of times and I still somehow have a good time on them....
Cheers,
Mike

...If you want something more intact or a smidge shallower, perhaps try the CAPTAIN DAN. It's less than a mile south of the RODEO.
Another alternative that you just can't go wrong with is the SEA EMPEROR-UNITED CARIBBEAN-NOULA EXPRESS. I have done this trio a bunch of times and I still somehow have a good time on them....

Thanks for the feedback, Mike. I really would love to do the Capt. Dan but finding an operator that does it on the weekend has been tough. Seems like they take divers to it mainly during the week for some reason. Very frustrating since I can't take time off from work to dive it. Know of any operators that do it during weekends?

I'm going to do the Tracy this Saturday and will definitely check into the other sites you mentioned.

Rey...

Thinking I may cancel this dive. Feedback I've received from numerous people and just from what I've read tells me that this isn't a great dive. Lo 'vis plus strong currents don't sound like a good time.

Appreciate the feedback. Now to find an alternative. Sigh. :wink:

The Rodeo is a fun wreck. It's definitely better than some of the really small little wrecks @ 70' in and around Fort Lauderdale.

The Rodeo has a few places you can go into and peek around, and often there's a lot of fish on it.

I don't recall having "ripping currents" in the few dozen times I've done it, and I wouldn't say that the visibility is much worse than most of the shallow wrecks here in S FL (especially when it's raining every day)

Thanks Howard. I'll do some more homework on it to see if I'll do it in the future. My cousin is coming over from Paris and I want him to have good dives. I've been on the Tracy before and know what to expect.

Rey..

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom