Thoughts on this "entry level" set-up? (I await your slings and arrows!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP3:
As to alternate - what are people's thougts on "short hose alternate" worn on necklace with "long hose" main reg? Reasoning behond integrated alternate was to reduce hose clutter. Would "long/short" be a way to accomplish much of the same benefit?

Thanks in advance - Ray

That is what I did just before I fell over to the dark-side and bought my BP/W about 2 months later. I absolutely loved the 7ft primary and alternate on a necklace. It even worked great with my jacket BC so you wouldn't have to worry about that. Long hoses where around long before there was DIR. I have actually donated air a couple of times with this setup and it is so great not having to almost hug the other person just to keep regs in people's mouth.

One time wasn't actually an OOA situation. He had about 500 PSI left and I had about 1200psi left. We were only in about 25 fsw but wanted to swim closer to shore before we surface. We swam for probably 10 minutes with him on my long hose. We just kept swimming like we did before and didn't have to hold onto each other or even really be that close. It was wonderful. I just love that 7footer.

String:
If you're diving within recreational depths and your computer fails you still need an analogure depth gauge, an analogue SPG and a watch/timer of sort sort.

Judging an ascent rate without a timing device isnt easy especially if its not practiced. Smallest bubbles isnt a good guide any longer.

The problem with Air-2s is that assume you get the buddy on your main reg (hope its a longer hose than normal or the twist needed to get it the right way up means theyre VERY close... is that on ascent youre breathing and dumping from the same hose. Its fiddly, not fun in a stressful situation especially when trying to hold onto a buddy. Id never recommend to anyone of any level to not have 2 proper second stages. Have an Air-2 if you want as well but dont just have 1 proper reg.

Let's just leave it at ..... We completely and absolutely disagree on the Air 2. I do have a long primary hose and I do want them close enough that I can hold on to their BCD upon Ascent and look them in the eyes. It is also not in anyway "fiddly" and I do find it much less stressful because I know exactly where it is at all times even on ascent.

I also don't think that an analog depth guage and SPG is completely required either and I have maybe in the last 5 years seen 4-5 people total who do this on a recreational dive. Again, not a bad thing to have but certainly not required. I am sure it has happened that a computer putz out sometime but I have never seen a complete failure. If you are diving within limits and paying attention to your computer ...if it fails....dive over.

Both of these subjects are well argued all over this board so I don't want to clutter up this thread with this nonsense from either of us.

NadMat:
For those of you recomending wrist computers, are you using air integrated wrist computers? Seems to me you got to check your SPG anyway, so check your depth, time etc at same time. But if can check your air on wrist then can see point more clearly.

I use a SPG and a wrist-mount Suunto. I look at my watch/computer quite regularly throughout the dive. I might look at my SPG maybe half a dozen times. And when watching my depth/time on a safety stop, its much easier and more comfortable for me to look at my wrist than a console.

And to answer the original question..
I have a SeaQuest Balance and am very happy with it.
Not too sure about the integrated octo, but you'll get all sorts of discussions on that point anyway..

I have a very similar setup to what you're proposing - except the Atomic B2 instead of the M1, and the Seaquest Pro QD+. You'll be very happy with all of it. Things to note:

I think the M1 comes standard with the extra wide exhaust tee - if not, get it. It's only a few bucks and virtually eliminates bubble interference.

Get the quick disconnect with the Cobra. Otherwise, you have to drag your entire octo around whenvever you want to look at it between dives.

The cobra is extremely conservative; make sure that you'll be comfortable with its limitations.

The SS1 doesn't really mate to the Seaquest hose. My LDS did a fairly decent job of connecting them when I bought them, although I've already had them redo it once. Make sure whoever connects them knows what they're doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom