Thoughts on this set up vs renting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would you have to add a corrugated hose?
If you scroll down on the page, it says it doesn't come with one...

edit: I was looking at just the bcd, not the package you linked.

If you scroll down on the page, it says it doesn't come with one...

edit: I was looking at just the bcd, not the package you linked.

It absolutely does come with one…it doesn’t come with the LPI hose that screws into the 1st stage.

It absolutely does come with one…it doesn’t come with the LPI hose that screws into the 1st stage.
Either way, it's still about the same price as a TBCS.

Seems expensive for what it is…this is what I’d get. Just my opinion though. You’ll get a lot more opinions too.

I second this. It is what I picked out also. Good set of gear, that can be expanded on. OP, what you have picked out is way over expensive and it is what it is and will always be what it is and nothing more.

TBCS is still more when you pick the options to get the same thing as the DGX.
Well, no actually it's not, but you're comparing apples to oranges. Either way, I'm not going to argue with you. Add some dump pouches which are standard on the TBCS, and then take a look. Either way, we can declare you the victor. You've won - the DGX setup is a good system, from the looks of it, but I don't know anything about it.

I do occasionally buy things from DGX that my distributors don't have, and I've always found their stuff to be top-notch. It really just depends on what you or the OP wants. I sell a lot more of the adjustable harnesses, but all my students get trained in a single piece of webbing. I know it may be heresy, but I'm ok with that.

Edge-Hog does one thing that DGX doesn't do though - They will support independent instructors. That makes them worth supporting if you ask me. I wouldn't have been able to start my shop if I hadn't had them as a supplier. The dive business is parochial and territorial. I wouldn't have made it as an independent either.

Now can we get to telling OP how he should be looking for another shop? That is the next logical step I think.

I'll go against the general ScubaBoard insistence on BP/W and say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a decent jacket BCD and some packages provide great value. My son and I have well over 100 dives on what is about the cheapest package deal available for (link below) jacket BCD with integrated weights + regs. I could not be happier with our gear.

I don't need the modular customization of a BP/W -- if I did I would set it up similar to my BCD with weight system, trim pouches and gear pockets, and even the cheapest DGX system would be hundreds of dollars more with the same weight capacity, trim pouches and gear pockets, etc. I'm also a Solo diver and the big pockets on my BCD are great to hold a spare mask and roll-up snorkel on one side, and a DSMB and reel on the other -- no need for it to be dangling around my rear as with most BP/W divers.

I've had this system in most environments an avid recreational diver would encounter: murky quarry dives with big thermoclines; murky Atlantic and Gulf wreck dives; drift diving in SE Florida, Cozumel and Curacao; deep pinnacle swim-throughs in Cozumel; dives down to 122 feet on the USS Oriskany with a pony bottle attached; etc. I've enjoyed every dive, and never once thought I'd enjoy it more with a different BCD or reg set. From my view, better to spend $$ on more dive travel rather than on gear.

Here's the package -- we did do the optional upgrades to the Covert balanced regulator (breathes great at depth) and the 3-gauge console (adds a compass):

One thing about Divers Supply and their packages - I’ve found that if you leave stuff in your cart for a few days, you get pretty regular emails with 10% off codes. That saved me around $90 on the package I got.

Well, no actually it's not, but you're comparing apples to oranges. Either way, I'm not going to argue with you. Add some dump pouches which are standard on the TBCS, and then take a look. Either way, we can declare you the victor. You've won - the DGX setup is a good system, from the looks of it, but I don't know anything about it.

I do occasionally buy things from DGX that my distributors don't have, and I've always found their stuff to be top-notch. It really just depends on what you or the OP wants. I sell a lot more of the adjustable harnesses, but all my students get trained in a single piece of webbing. I know it may be heresy, but I'm ok with that.

Edge-Hog does one thing that DGX doesn't do though - They will support independent instructors. That makes them worth supporting if you ask me. I wouldn't have been able to start my shop if I hadn't had them as a supplier. The dive business is parochial and territorial. I wouldn't have made it as an independent either.

Now can we get to telling OP how he should be looking for another shop? That is the next logical step I think.

The Hollis comes with a soft plate, smaller pouches, less lift, and I believe it said needs a single tank adapter?? Which the DGX doesn’t need.

The Hollis comes with a soft plate, smaller pouches, less lift, and I believe it said needs a single tank adapter?? Which the DGX doesn’t need.
I'm assuming you're still talking about the TBCS, and not Hollis. But no, that's not correct. There are a ton of options for plates, wings, and add-ons. I wrote them all out, but scubaboard ate my homework. If you want to see the basic options for TBCS, you can look at my custom backplate builder. That has the majority of the options. I don't have a TBCS builder live at the moment.

As far as the STA goes, you can add one to the hard plates, but not to the soft plate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom