Thoughts on this set-up GX8-7-14 lens, Nauticam and lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jzipfel

Contributor
Reaction score
I've read through the extensive discusion regarding the 7-14 lens (Panny) and Nauticam but I would love to hear thoughts, suggestions, limitations, etc regarding my proposed set-up
- Panasonic GX8
- Panny 7-14 lens
- Nauticam housing with dome port
- 2 Big Blue VLT 2800 lights on arms

Ok, that is the proposed gear. I already own GX8 and the Big Blue lights so I would need to purchase the others.

What I would like to use this set-up for. I might be asking it to cover too wide an area:
- I live in Seattle so dive the Sound so that would be the majority of the shooting
- I plan to hit God'sPocket next fall
- We try to hit the Hawaiin islands at least once a year, we'll be ther this year
- I have the night time pelagic dive booked for this year in Kona
- Have a trip to Austrailia planned for 2016

So what I really want to know is how folks think this set-up will work for all these situations. I can't spend more $$ on a strobe set-up right now, especially since the lens, housing/port will be about $3K.

For the pelagic i'd like to just try the 4K video so don't plan on stills. That could change though. Most other diving will probably involve stills, although the 4K video with the ability to pull stills from the video may be enough for my needs.

Thanks everyone

Other than the panny 7-14, sounds great. Instead of the WA zoom, I'd go with the 14-42PZ + WWL-1.

Why would you opt for the 14-42 rather than the 7-14? I have both lenses (but would have to buy the port), but was hoping to do some CFWA shots. Besides the nightime pelagic, most dives are planned to include some lava tubes and sea life. (at least in Hawaii in a few weeks)
Not much difference in speed of either lens so not gaining too much with the 14-42. Possibly the benefit of lens and IB stabilization, but then with video, not really.

Thanks

The power zoom lens is not as good as the 14-42 II Mega OIS
For what concerns image quality compared to the WWL-1 it depends. In the corners the 7-14mm really needs f/8. You can shoot the 14-42mm at f/5.6 and even f/4 so that is two stops benefit. However the WWL-1 is not rectilinear although is not a fisheye either
You also have to consider that the crop factor of the GX8 gives really the 7-14mm a 18-36mm equivalent.
The 14-42mm instead gives you 35-105mm that is perfect for macro. At 35mm there are many old fashion wet lenses you can use that are rectilinear.
I have the 7-14mm is a great lens but is probably the last you add to your kit. The 14-42mm II mega ois is the first one to get for video

As you are not into stills I skip the 8mm fisheye and the 60mm macro that instead would be your first purchases for photography

It sounds like a fine setup if you like to shoot wide-angle video. In time you will likely want to buy strobes (for stills) and a longer lens. Shooting wide is nice when the viz is very good, but when viz is poor (as is common in our pacific northwest conditions), it is hard to get nice pics shooting wide, and then macro will be the way to go.

The Olympus 12-50mm lens is intriguing because it is quite versatile, as it has a macro mode at 45mm. The problem is that only Nauticam has figured out how to makea focus gear to engage the macro mode during the dive, and it is a bit pricey (unless perhaps there are 3D printed gears available for less?)

Keep in mind that the speed of the lens and the image stabilization (whether in-body or in the lens) is not much of an issue (IMHO) for underwater (at least if you are shooting stills with strobes), as shutter speed generally fast (usually max synch speed of 1/200 or so) so no need for IS, and it is usually not necessary to open up aperture all the way underwater. I don't shoot wide-angle video, so I don't know how important a fast lens is for that, but my guess is that it is probably not critical. With the GX8 you have in body IS anyways so I think Oly lenses would be fine too. I actually turn off IS on my Canon 100mm to save battery as I don't need the IS underwater.

IMHO the most important characteristic of a lens for underwater use is the minimum focus distance. Whether it be macro or wide, you get much nicer shots if you can get very close to your subject.

Thanks everyone. Based on suggestions and a little more research it looks like the Panny 14-24 PZ, port and WWL port is the way to go.

Ordered this morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom