Thoughts on Tres Pelicanos vs Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do wish Aldora would have some fresh fruit or snacks available for the SI.
How American.

How American.

Funny. It's pretty common in Cozumel for an op to provide some fruit and maybe a baked good during the SI. When I go to Florida to dive, I have zero expectations of this because it is not something the ops do there.

Funny. It's pretty common in Cozumel for an op to provide some fruit and maybe a baked good during the SI. When I go to Florida to dive, I have zero expectations of this because it is not something the ops do there.

Good point. It's common in Belize, too, if I recall. And probably other places in the world. I think it's a nice touch.

Aldora provides boat coats for surface intervals in cool weather. Another nice touch.

Narcosis and Walker's in West Palm both provide fruit at the SI. Narcosis also provides food, usually some pita chips and delicious dip. Narcosis goes out at 10 during the week, the snacks at the SI, lunchtime, are most appreciated before the 2nd dive.

It just seems silly to expect food on a midmorning break. Get up 30 minutes earlier and eat breakfast. My Op brings fruit I think, but it'd be fine with me if he didn't.

Aldora provides boat coats for surface intervals in cool weather.
It's just not that difficult for me to stick one of those fast drying towels and a foil blanket in my backpack. My Op provides those too, but cleaning between customers must be challenging.

Good point. It's common in Belize, too, if I recall. And probably other places in the world. I think it's a nice touch.

Aldora provides boat coats for surface intervals in cool weather. Another nice touch.

I love those big Aldora coats when coming back from a night dive. I remember getting some fruit or some sort of snack in Belize like you too, as well as in Little Cayman and Big Cayman IIRC. There are destinations where it is common and others where it is not.

Different amenities appeal to different folks. This thread has addressed wetsuit handling, boat coats, snacks, and more. It's nice to know which ops offer which.

Yup. Bring snacks and share. Problem solved.

I know 3P and Living Underwater provide snacks. I couldn't care less.

I much prefer Aldora dropping me off at Palancar Beach Club, where I can use the bathroom, get a table, order what I want (even if it's just a coke) and feed chips to the mapaches (Living Underwater does their SI here too).

mapache-fry.png

One of the things I really didn't like about 3P was the surface interval unpredictability.

One day, we just stopped about 150 feet out from the shore for the SI and were told we'd be chilling here and eating snacks. Nobody asked me or my dive buddy if that was ok. Then one of the prolific posters here cranked up his portable speaker with some terrible music for geriatrics. I had to jump in the water and snorkel for 30 minutes to get away from the noise (and pee).

Another day, they pulled up at a long concrete dock where we were told we could buy snacks/drinks and use the "bathroom" up the stairs. Turns out there is no bathroom for #2 and signs warn you not to go into the jungle. Both me and my buddy told the DM we needed a real bathroom. He was visibly annoyed that he had to gather up the rest of the group and go somewhere else.

Never had those issues with Aldora.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom