Threading SK7 Compass mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GTaylor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wanted to know if there were some more detailed instructions for threading the bungee on to the mount. Currently I have it going through the outer holes crossed underneath in one continuous length of bungee. Also, how would you set it up to be adjustable while using a continuous piece.

Thanks
Greg

Greg,

All the instructions we have are packed with the mount, there are no more detailed instructions available.

You can use multiple knots in the ends for additional adjustment.

Tobin

I have one of these mounts from Tobin. I didn't exactly follow his instructions on how to mount. I am using two pieces of bungie to keep it mounted on my arm. I set the compass on my arm to find out how I wanted the side view window to rest on my arm so that I could read it with little arm movement underwater. Since he has multiple mount holes, I was able to get it to rest perfectly on my arm and I can view the side window even with the funky way I hold my arms underwater.

It really is a great design and I have really enjoyed using my compass more as a result. Suunto should consider cutting a deal with Tobin and making this their standard mount. The factory mount is horrible.

The next time I purchase a wrist computer my first consideration will be whether or not Tobin sells a bungie wrist mount for it. Tobin doesn't have a large line of products, but what he sells is top notch!

I use a fairly thin bungie cord (I get it at REI) and run it as a single piece through the holes. That leaves me with a part that's above the mount as it goes from one side to the other. (Wish I had a camera with me -- if nobody posts any pictures, I'll do that when I get home Saturday night.) To adjust the length, I just pull up a loop of the bungie above the mount and tie a knot in it. Works well for moving from dry suit to wetsuit.

Thanks for the replies, think I'll leave it the way it is and see how it works this weekend.

I'd love to see pictures or hear recommendations. I just got my mount from DSS (actually mounts - one for the computer and one for the compass). I am debating between 2 loops (redundancy) or 1 continuous loop (easy to adjust). I am thinking about 2 cable ties to close the loop and 1 knot on top to adjust the length between dry and wet. I can't wait to get rid of the buckles.

Maybe I'm being over-paranoid (can you be over paranoid?), but on all my wrist gages I use 2 pieces of bungee, so that if one should somehow fail I won't lose the whole gage.

i know i know...that's the paranoia slippery slope. I am there too often. At the same time (hence the post), i had been OK with the factory buckle for a long time and i could count 3 failure points (2 pins and the buckle). cheers.

I use a fairly thin bungie cord (I get it at REI) and run it as a single piece through the holes. That leaves me with a part that's above the mount as it goes from one side to the other. (Wish I had a camera with me -- if nobody posts any pictures, I'll do that when I get home Saturday night.) To adjust the length, I just pull up a loop of the bungie above the mount and tie a knot in it. Works well for moving from dry suit to wetsuit.

I use two seperately tied loops, this way if one breaks or comes undone, the other one holds the compass to my wrist. I twist the two together once to make it easier to get on. I also have a Suunto Vitec in a boot connected this way.

I have lost a couple of (thankfully cheap) watches and a bottom timer to lack of redundency in the wrist mount.

And you are right the single loop is easier to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom