Three Chicago Fire Department divers hospitalized

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was kind of surprised, in a way, when I read the cause of death was drowning. He must of panicked and removed his FFM. I was thinking a medical event. The NIOSH reports are long reads but a lot of info is gained from them. I use the recommendations to make myself and my team better and safer.

He deserves our honor and esteem for giving his life in the line of duty while attempting to save another. May he RIP

He must of panicked and removed his FFM.
Full face mask?

I guess the 24# of lead he used was with a dry suit, and I guess that much of it was ditchable, but was found still attached to his kit. The recent report didn't even mention the heart condition mentioned on the autopsy? Quite a change.

Then there was the boater overboard they were searching for who didn't bother wearing a life vest.

Full face mask?

In the news video that came out at the time of the incident you could briefly see the diver in a FFM. There is also a photo in the report showing the back of the divers head with the spider strap. Standard gear for CFD divers is FFM.

I too remember the initial reports saying something about a heart condition.

Kind of unhelpful conclusion that the diver ran out of air. Begs the question of why an experienced, professional diver would do so. He had a pressure guage and used it earlier. He was in less than 16 feet of water, although he may have been working hard. And he had a pony bottle, and "buddy" tether diver within close reach.

Hard read. Qualified, experienced, competent, diver on a world class, well funded, well trained, dive team brutally drives home the point IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU.

Given the heart condition, I'm not sure anything would have made a difference in the ultimate outcome. Read the report, discuss with your team, make adjustments to your SOP's.

God Speed Diver Bucio, we've got the watch. Prayers for your first responder brothers and sisters.

Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom