three divers rescued in the St Lawrence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The deceased diver died of arteriosclerosis, hardening of the arteries, so there wasn't much that could be done for him at that point. Apparently he became unconscious at about 200 feet, one hour into the two hour planned dive. At about 50 feet, he was convulsing.

Blair and Chris did everything they could against all odds to bring Mike up at the risk of being injured or dying themselves. They should be commended for keeping it together and trying their best to help Mike and managing to not get bent themselves.

Blair missed significant deco and Chris almost did "minimal deco" so they are both very lucky. Both Blair and Chris are very qualified, experienced trimix/cave/rebreather divers. I didn't know Mike, but I believe he was as well. All three were familiar with the Jodrey and her challenging conditions.

This article was linked to on Ontario Diving last week and it will answer some of your questions: Watertown Daily Times | Autopsy reveals scuba diver died from heart attack

Is there a chance of convincing this person to give his account on this thread so we might gain some more insight into what happened/chronology of events?

As for those involved commenting directly, I think it's fair to assume that one or both are watching this thread and will choose to comment if and when they think it is appropriate.

ok call me crazy here but it just seems (to m uneducated mind that is) that something is not adding up here.

Either the M.E. or the two guys who were there ON the dive and risked THEIR lives to help out a friend, or the media. (probably the media just like always....

I noticed that the coroner is quoted as saying something to the effect of arteriosclerosis, hardening of vessels, heart attack.

Then you got the two heros apparently being quoted as having said "disoriented."

And that is in the same article, the one linked to by Ayisha.

Perhaps I am not understanding clearly here or maybe my medical training is wearing off or maybe I am just too much of a beach-bum drunk these days.

However I believe that "disorientation could very likely be caused by stroke or Transischemic Attack, which can also be caused by arteriosclerosis. The MI is where I am having a problem with this adding up. I have worked on NUMEROUS codes, been on rigs, been in the field and been in the hospital during cardiac events. I cant say as a SINGLE person got "disoriented" during one of the MI's I witnesssed/treated.

Pain, numbness, nausea, light headedness. es all of those, however no sign of disorientation.

Not saying that these gentlemen are nto worth of praise and congratulations for their bravery despite the outcome.

I am just trying to wrap my own head around it and it doesnt seem to add up to me.

I suspect that the "disoriented" reference might have simply been one of perception. It's not like you can question a diver at 200 ft. Numbness may well seem like disorientation below?

I could see someone experiencing severe chest pain at 200 feet seeming very confused and anxious. I can see someone with an arrhythmia and inadequate perfusion to the brain appearing not to be properly aware of where he is and what he needs to do next. I have seen people with big MIs come into the ER and be essentially unable to give a history, because all they can focus on is how awful they feel -- similarly with people with congestive heart failure, who are severely short of breath.

Given the limitations of one's ability to assess mental status on scuba, "disoriented" might well be a description of someone who has ceased to attend to the demands of the dive, because all he can focus on is the demands of his body.

gosh, 200+ ft deep dive?? that's almost a suicide....the thing tho is, some artherosclerotic cases are environmentaly induced...meaning there are no symptoms before diving but if you get underwater the water pressure @100-200 feet will and can induce the heart to pump faster, and in effect the hairlike veins in our brains cannot withstand the intense pressure and will eventually burst.,then the flow of oxygen within the brain and other parts of the body will be compromised.,,by this time you will start to feel numbness in your facial muscle, jaw and arms etc. and brain death comes next if the blood is not immediately drained out from the caranial cavity..
be careful out there guys,,,life is far more important than diving....and anyone can be a victim of underwater stroke.

gosh, 200+ ft deep dive?? that's almost a suicide....the thing tho is, some artherosclerotic cases are environmentaly induced...meaning there are no symptoms before diving but if you get underwater the water pressure @100-200 feet will and can induce the heart to pump faster, and in effect the hairlike veins in our brains cannot withstand the intense pressure and will eventually burst.,then the flow of oxygen within the brain and other parts of the body will be compromised.,,by this time you will start to feel numbness in your facial muscle, jaw and arms etc. and brain death comes next if the blood is not immediately drained out from the caranial cavity..
be careful out there guys,,,life is far more important than diving....and anyone can be a victim of underwater stroke.

That is a bizarre theory. While I'm not a tech diver, 200 ft is not considered outside the realm of safe technical diving on Trimix.

Adam

I could see someone experiencing severe chest pain at 200 feet seeming very confused and anxious. I can see someone with an arrhythmia and inadequate perfusion to the brain appearing not to be properly aware of where he is and what he needs to do next. I have seen people with big MIs come into the ER and be essentially unable to give a history, because all they can focus on is how awful they feel -- similarly with people with congestive heart failure, who are severely short of breath.

Given the limitations of one's ability to assess mental status on scuba, "disoriented" might well be a description of someone who has ceased to attend to the demands of the dive, because all he can focus on is the demands of his body.

TSandM: I hadnt thought about it in that way. I always assumed that disoriented underwater would be similar to a really bad case of narced. Glossy eyes and such. However you do bring up a good point, not too sure a full nuero exam would be possible at 200+ feet...

Thank you for taking the time and explaining my confusion.

[citation needed]

gosh, 200+ ft deep dive?? That's almost a suicide....the thing tho is, some artherosclerotic cases are environmentaly induced...meaning there are no symptoms before diving but if you get underwater the water pressure @100-200 feet will and can induce the heart to pump faster, and in effect the hairlike veins in our brains cannot withstand the intense pressure and will eventually burst.,then the flow of oxygen within the brain and other parts of the body will be compromised.,,by this time you will start to feel numbness in your facial muscle, jaw and arms etc. And brain death comes next if the blood is not immediately drained out from the caranial cavity..
Be careful out there guys,,,life is far more important than diving....and anyone can be a victim of underwater stroke.

:d :d :d

Back
Top Bottom