Throwing up in your regulator??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Di:

C'mon now..........I mentioned to you yesterday that these are contingencies that we plan for. And, underwater, if you ever have to, you can get sick right through your regulator, and it will keep on working. We don't spend all this money, get trained, practice, train some more, swim with fish (take a few if we want some dinner - and/or get some Lobster), spend more money, wreck and reef dive, just to get sick. I've never had to do this in 25 years, but I've seen it done. It's not pretty, but people can get sick on a boat, or MAYBE underwater. You mentioned that you have good sea legs, so you are way ahead of the game. A lot of divers do not have a good amount of boat experience, so they need to get used to it. You are hearing about the (very few) not so great days. Most days are beyond belief. Or we wouldn't do this. My group dives salt water or fresh water every Saturday & Sunday. And if we miss, we're pissed.

Stop worrying about the war stories, but understand if something like this does happen, you'll be OK. Go get your certification and have fun.

Just don't reference us to a bunch of freshmen at a frat party! It may not go over to well (just a little SB fun). Most of us could drink a frat freshman under the table by the time we were 16.................

Gotcha...and, I was just kidding around when I made reference to the frat freshmen. :blinking:

And, if drinking is a team sport that divers enjoy after they're out of the water, then I'll fit right in. I've been practicing a really long time and am very very good at it. In fact, I can hold my liquor as well as I can hold my stomach contents on a boat. :D

I had no idea that diving involved so many possibilities to lose one's brunch. You guys sound more and more like a bunch of freshmen at a frat party. :D
Quarters, anyone? Beer pong? :D

Wookie,

I can't believe you thew up that much when you first started. Glad you stayed with it.

Like you I threw up on every dive trip the first year. The dive boat captain felt so sorry for me he actually gave me a free trip. He kept telling me that it eventually goes away. (I really hate surge and 8 foot seas with cross swell)

Like some of the others, I have thrown up thru the reg. and attracted many interesting fish. Keep your hand on your reg and don't do an emergency ascent. With any luck, none will come through your nose, that really sucks. Purge your primary reg; switch to your alt air and continue with the dive if you feel a lot better. If it doesn't resolve itself, surface and pray that the boat captain will take you to land. Remember, losing your equilibrium underwater is nothing to take lightly; especially at depth.

My x got sick from a small rolling swell on her first O/W check out dive. Barfed on the surface, dropped down, barfed again through the reg. Purged it and continued w/the checks. She said later it was really easy to do.

Uncontrolled coughing is worse. Mexican cantina tonight.

There's a question... think anybody intentionally chums just to get a show?

Gaawwwd I hope not. Can you see somebody kneeling on the bottom, taking their reg out, stuffing a finger down their throat just to hurl for the kodak moment? Now THAT'S air way control.

I've gotten sick in my reg a couple of times.
Once I did a dive in 7'-9' seas and got a bit seasick, when I jumped in the water the surge continued to make me feel sick so I got sick through my regulator. When I inhaled I had no problem with getting air.
It's okay to get sick through your reg but remember to hold it in place with your hand so it doesn't accidentally come out. If by a very small chance your reg does get blocked just switch to your alternate air source and you will be fine.
Once you do get sick you feel a whole lot better and can continue your dive!

Its good to know that a regulator can take that and still breath.

An instructor once told me this, which kinda makes sense but I don't know anyone who's tried it:

When you know you're going to spew, just pull one side (wing?) of the mouthpiece out of your mouth and hit the purge at the same time. He reckons it'll blow the chunks away from you and your reg. The purge air blowing keeps the large chunks from getting caught under your exhaust valve which is a potential danger as you'd inhale seawater at that point.

ANy thoughts?? It seems to make sense but not having spewed yet I dont know

Funny how after reading through this tread, everything smells slighty sour and chummy.

While I hope I never need to do this, I have a strong feeling I will :). I dont go out on boats much (now I hope to more of course) but growing up pre-teen - teenage, i had sea sick issues. Although the last 2 times I went out on lake erie about 10 years ago, I didnt have any issues, and it wasnt that it was a smooth day either lol. But reading thru this thread has actually been educational, and of course funny and at times sick :D

1) If in the boat over the edge and not on top of someone in the water
2) if in the water make sure to
a) keep reg in mouth
b) if possible, let others know you are going to spew
c) if photographers are in the water REALLY try to let them know so they can be ready for all the fishes :)
3) chew well the meal before :D

Back
Top Bottom