Throwing up in your regulator??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I hope I never need to do this, I have a strong feeling I will :). I dont go out on boats much (now I hope to more of course) but growing up pre-teen - teenage, i had sea sick issues. Although the last 2 times I went out on lake erie about 10 years ago, I didnt have any issues, and it wasnt that it was a smooth day either lol. But reading thru this thread has actually been educational, and of course funny and at times sick :D

1) If in the boat over the edge and not on top of someone in the water
2) if in the water make sure to
a) keep reg in mouth
b) if possible, let others know you are going to spew
c) if photographers are in the water REALLY try to let them know so they can be ready for all the fishes :)
3) chew well the meal before :D

I was about to post something similar. This thread has been both educational and humorous! I am surprised by the number of people that have actually done this; it must be a horrible and frightening experience (at least the first time it happens.)

I think one thing newbie divers like me all fear is the "what ifs," of panicking at depth, knowing if something goes wrong you're too far down to make it to the surface in one breath. And having to barf into your breathing source could indeed cause some panic! :shocked2:

Interesting about the fish swarm. Hopefully it doesn't attract the large predatory kind! In any event, I'll definitely be chewing my food well.

Meh. I've done it. Bad breakfast in Bonaire. Ugh. No biggie. Kinda scary when you realize that it's going to happen but just hold your reg in and go with it. Just make sure you blow some air out while puking (helps keep the reg clear upon inhale) and remember to remove your reg and purge it once you're done to get any leftovers out and continue your dive.

Wow. I never thought I'd be posting instructions on how to puke through your reg.:vomit:

well i dont really have time to read all the posts so i dont know if this has been posted already but ive read that its better to barf through your octo and make sure your buddy sees it so he knows not to run out of air, and when your done switch back to your primary just a little bit of insight

In my years of diving I've been fortunate enough to only experience this once first hand, but I can attest to the fact that a double whopper with cheese and a large order of fries will indeed fit through the exhaust port of a regulator.

Never did figure that one out, though. Felt good before. Felt better after. And I swear I saw sea life that I didn't even know existed in Puget Sound that day!

Haven't read this thread. If you throw up through your regulator be careful that fibrous elements don't get stuck in the exhaust valve of your 2nd stage. They will lead to wet breaths until you open up the stage and clear them out.

Done it - was frightening at the time, and there is no way I could have managed being sick with the reg out of my mouth and putting it back in for air. This is a really really bad idea. Just push it through the reg and be prepared to swap to your backup to clean it out after.

What might be good is to have a good dive buddy-

It's with a bit of embarassment for me to admit that I vomit in my regulator at least twice (over the course of a week) anytime I dive in salt water. My husband is an amazing dive buddy (in more ways than one :wink: ) the first time he took me on a trip we were just dating and he held me in place (I believe we were at a safety stop) while I lost every bit of breakfast and maybe even some of dinner from the night before, and then he had his second stage ready for me if I needed it when I was done. Sweet of him, considering he gets sick just thinking about vomit. I was extremely embarassed, but I think in the same trip he ask me to marry him :). Everyone else had really good points- Eat something that tastes equally as good coming up as going down, having your second stage handy so you clean clean out your primary is a VERY good idea, but my recommendation is to let your dive buddy know it's a possibility so they're prepared IF/when it happens and they can make it as safe for you as possible. Besides, you'll want them to enjoy all the fish that come for the fresh chum! :)

Oh, and it would be kind of you to try and get the vomit down-current from surrounding divers... at least from you and your buddy :)

Actually, vomiting into the water having first removed your reg isn't difficult. It just needs to be practised. It can be very good for attracting little fish, though you want to have the vomit well clear of your mouth, or you'll feel little teeth nibbling at your lips.

Now, when will PADI introduce vomiting as part of their OW skills learning? Or perhaps they'd regard it as a bit more advanced. How many dives to earn a PADI Vomiting Specialty?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom