Thunder Bay or Great Lakes diving in general

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhatD1ver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, I figured you lot would be the ones to answer this.

I'm home in the US infrequently. Living overseas in Asia has it's benefits, I get to dive warm water, and exotic places like Anilao, Puerta Galera, Coron, Koh Lanta, Kenting, Sipadan, and Saipan to name a few, but each year I come home and wish I could find interesting places to dive relatively easy to get to with my limited time home (like a 2-3 day dive trip from western US - not counting travel days).

So, I read about Thunder Bay, see a really cool video on Highway 23. And I get to thinking, that might be the ticket. Obviously, it's luck of the draw for vis, but Shipwreck Alley looks like a great spot to spend 2-3 days.

Now, my problem is that yes, I do have a dry suit, I do dive SM and tec, but I haven't combined the two yet (since the dry suit is in the US and really, I'd die of heat exhaustion using it in Asia for the most part).

So, looking for pearls of wisdom here. Is the trip to Thunder Bay worthwhile? Of course, me being me, I'm not to proud to hire an instructor to spend a day or even two 'babysitting' to help me work out the kinks of driving my drysuit with my tec rig. I took right to SM, and to a drysuit when I learned them. So I'm not too worried, just figure if you can get professional help, why not, you enjoy the dives a ton more.

So, fire away, love to hear about it, I love wreck diving anyway, so seems like a good spot to get 2-3 dives a day for 2-3 days and see some good stuff.

TIA.

Thunder Bay has a large selection of shipwrecks from novice to tec. The shallow wrecks are long stripped and are usually empty hulls with bits of large machinery. Seeing them for the first time is impressive. Wrecks like the Grecian and Monrovia are quite popular Grecian (70-100) Monrovia (90-145). Lake Huron has the best tech diving in all the lakes thus far. Wrecks like the Spangler, Windiate, Florida, and Franz are quite intact and range from 140-225. There is quite a bit of artifacts on them.

Moving north to the Straits of Mackinac you have the largest shipwreck in Lake Huron Cedarville lying on her side (bow almost inverted) at depths between 40-110. Although not much in the way of artifacts it's a wreck that does not get old and tons to explore. The Barnum from 40-75 has a busted up stern but a relatively intact bow and out of the current mostly for a relaxing second dive. Advanced to tech wrecks Would be the William Young at 95-120 with a wicked current on some days, the Eber Ward from 90-140 is quite intact but may have problems with current, and the Uganda which is 180-210 and is intact but seldom dove. Over to the east of Bois Blanc Island is the Schooner Newell Eddy from 135-155 is quite intact from a brass capstan cover, eagle figurehead, and two standing masts make it a exciting wreck.

Going back down south to the "thumb of Michigan" is mostly advanced to tech diving from modern steel freighters, paddlewheel steamers, barkintines, and schooners from 90-250ft range. Farther south to the foot of Lake Huron are the Coastal towns of Lexington and Port Sanilac have a wide selection of recreational wrecks, but not much in the way of technical diving.

When do you plan on being CONUS and here in Michigan? Not much diving going on right now due to winter and ice.

That's a great time of the year to dive, enjoy

Three areas to consider:
1. Thunder Bay
2. Straits of Mackinac
3. Tobermory, ON

Don't know if you have the time but I've always thought that would make a good road trip. I'm guessing 3 - 5 days at TB and the Straits. 4 days for Tobermory, 2 days drive there and back, 2 days diving.

Couple dive shops for further research. Others may have additional charter resources but thought I'd provide a starting point.

Northern Michigan Dive Center | iDiveMI.com

http://scubanorth.com/

Have fun and keep us posted

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom