Thursday night July 3rd @ Leo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom I don't know you ,BUT if my daughter erika ever gets hurt because of you ditching her or lack of care for your buddy, there will be no where you can hide from me. I trust the bc's, Erika has said nothing but good things about the bc's. And i know they will do there best to keep her safe. Now that i've had my say i hope you all have small waves and good vis on your dives. Robert

I have thought long and hard about the criticism heaped on me here and frankly I am surprised & hurt. I have done thousands of dives over the past 20 years and have never endangered anyone other than myself. I resent the statement that I am a liability-- I have not left a diver alone when buddied up one-on-one (right Erika, right Nick?). I know people call off dives when separated from multiple buddies but I don't. I have dived solo hundreds of times and feel very confident and safe when doing beach dives. I know people disagree with this, but I am entitled to my opinion and if getting separated from the group endangers anyone, it is me. I am fine with that. I am not fine being labeled a "liability" or "dangerous"-- that's b.s. The ironic thing is that what I was trying to communicate in my original post was that I got lost and got my ass handed to me coming back in because I wasn't with my buddies. My joke that they "ditched me" led to some pretty harsh criticism that frankly I don't think is warranted. If I wander off on my own-- how is that a threat to other divers? I don't get it. I enjoyed the social aspect of meeting with the crabs-- I love diving-- but I think there is some serious over-reaction going on here. I dove with Erika and stayed with her on a night dive the last night of lobster season-- and now her dad is threatening to kick my ass: Not really warranted. It saddens me, but in the interest of not "endangering" anyone I will not be diving with the Beach Crabs in the future. Thanks for the good times & good diving.
-Tom

dad is not threatning to kick your but. he is just saying if any thing happens to me that persons but is grass :)

I have thought long and hard about the criticism heaped on me here and frankly I am surprised & hurt. I have done thousands of dives over the past 20 years and have never endangered anyone other than myself. I resent the statement that I am a liability-- I have not left a diver alone when buddied up one-on-one (right Erika, right Nick?). I know people call off dives when separated from multiple buddies but I don't. I have dived solo hundreds of times and feel very confident and safe when doing beach dives. I know people disagree with this, but I am entitled to my opinion and if getting separated from the group endangers anyone, it is me. I am fine with that. I am not fine being labeled a "liability" or "dangerous"-- that's b.s. The ironic thing is that what I was trying to communicate in my original post was that I got lost and got my ass handed to me coming back in because I wasn't with my buddies. My joke that they "ditched me" led to some pretty harsh criticism that frankly I don't think is warranted. If I wander off on my own-- how is that a threat to other divers? I don't get it. I enjoyed the social aspect of meeting with the crabs-- I love diving-- but I think there is some serious over-reaction going on here. I dove with Erika and stayed with her on a night dive the last night of lobster season-- and now her dad is threatening to kick my ass: Not really warranted. It saddens me, but in the interest of not "endangering" anyone I will not be diving with the Beach Crabs in the future. Thanks for the good times & good diving.
-Tom
I didn't mean to cause waves i'm just an over protected father.

Now! Is everyone calmed down?

I have a few comments concerning this thread. But, sometimes it is just best to keep personnel comments to yourself. Which I will do in this case, besides airing a few feelings that I have.

Tom, If you reconsider wanting to dive with the BC's, let me know. I will dive with you.

I have been reading some of the comments in here, and wow, they are pretty harsh. That means on both sides. I was close to deleting this thread, but, decided not to.

I think there are some apologies warranted here. It is up to you guys to work this out, and I refuse to be a part of this. I work hard to make this a group where everyone can come, meet new friends, and feel comfortable around most everyone that shows up. After reading this thread, if I was a new diver thinking about diving with the BC's, I would run the other way. I have tried to make this group different from every other group and club out there. No drama, no clicks, no alienation, and welcoming newly certified divers, introducing them to Beach Diving in SoCal. This thread, to me, has gone way above and beyond what it should have. I feel it has torn away at the basic building blocks that the BC's were originally built on.

Now it is up to you guys. Were do we go from here?

I agree about the bad press but I do stand behind my opinions and have no regret in voicing them it needed to be said.

However in spirit of the beach crabs and what we are about I would like to see this thread go away and never come back.

If any of my content here on SB is out of line or offensive to you active members or lurkers please let me know by PM and I will take it all into consideration. I am over the censorship both public and by PM's and maybe I am out of line and need to take my opinions and banter elsewhere.

Tailchaser out

I didn't target anyone in particular. This is a general statement. That is why I said everyone has their own opinions. I agree with that as a whole. I didn't censor this post because I feel everyone does have the right to post their opinions. My main point is I have put 2 years into the Beach Crabs, and numerous other years into organizing these events, before the BC's. I refuse to sit here and let the BC's turn into "The Usual" dive group, club, forum, that is everywhere else on the internet. This is a place for getting together with divers, to have a good time. It is not a place to talk objectionable about anyone. I refuse to let it be that. This group is for the new divers, the seasoned divers, and non-divers as well. It is a family based group. It is a group that I have kept commercial interests out of (advertising, money making schemes, etc.).

All I can say is, it will stay as it is

Rick

I didn't target anyone in particular. This is a general statement. That is why I said everyone has their own opinions. I agree with that as a whole. I didn't censor this post because I feel everyone does have the right to post their opinions. My main point is I have put 2 years into the Beach Crabs, and numerous other years into organizing these events, before the BC's. I refuse to sit here and let the BC's turn into "The Usual" dive group, club, forum, that is everywhere else on the internet. This is a place for getting together with divers, to have a good time. It is not a place to talk objectionable about anyone. I refuse to let it be that. This group is for the new divers, the seasoned divers, and non-divers as well. It is a family based group. It is a group that I have kept commercial interests out of (advertising, money making schemes, etc.).

Rick

Thats what makes this group unique. * did i spell that right?*

Rick

And that's why I enjoy going to BC events. I dealt with a lot of school politics in my undergrad work and there is nothing that will destroy a group faster than bureaucratic policies and rules and the conflicts that arise from them. My take is, if you don't feel comfortable diving with someone, then don't, and leave it at that.

Now let's go diving!:scubadive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom