Tibbetts wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know if LCBR does the Tibbetts as an afternoon dive?

They do not. Because you can potentially dive to 100 ft (laying on the bottom) they will only make this a morning dive.

But I believe that it will be a 2 tank trip, they will pick a second reef off CB or LC for you to dive after the wreck.

That is correct, two tank dive in the morning. This year they let the boat vote on staying moored to the wreck bouy and stay at the wreck for our second dive or head back to the North shore of LC. The boat voted to leave for second dive.

You know, I am sure that the boat was prepared for diving before it was sunk (but maybe not good enough!) but the havoc caused by Hurricane Ivan exposed a lot of jagged edges, pipes, and wires that must be avoided. I once saw a TV documentary by Jean Michel Cousteau and he discussed the history of the boat and the prep done before scuttling and he filmed the sinking. He actually rode the wreck down during the sinking. The documentary was titled "Destroyer at Peace" but he took a little artistic license with the title, because the boat is a frigate and not a destroyer.

We had dived the wreck before Ivan and I don't recall any obvious dangers, but the changes after the storm were amazing. The boat was ripped in half and a lot of scary stuff was exposed. It's still a great dive but you just have to avoid the nasty bits!

Because of the stupid "no gloves" Cayman Islands policy,don't grab onto anything on this or any other sunken wreck with bare hands. It hurts ! The color of blood underwater looks gray...

Actually, it's green. During many years of spearfishing, both I and various fish have lost quite a bit of it.

Last edited:
I can personally attest that blood is green at depth as well.

I was at LCBR a few weeks ago and they would only head out to the Brac if they had a full boat, which did not happen.

Back
Top Bottom