Ticks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ticks are so gross! Went hiking with my dogs one day and they managed to each get multiple ticks....hasn't happened since, thankfully (yes, they are on tick medication).

Does your wetsuit offer protection? I would imagine it would....

Can you leave your clothes inside your car? Or maybe in a closed bag or case or something?

Glad your dive was worth it though!

Three hours!!! Were you diving solo?

Ha, no... had my dive buddies and guru with me. But we aren't THAT close of friends that I'm going to let them check me for ticks. :eyebrow:

While you are on site, it's almost impossible to get all the ticks off you; as you remove one, 3 sneak on you. You pretty much just have to suffer thru the ride home, and do full bodywork inspection at that time.

Alex, I tried that procedure for removing ticks from the dogs - I couldn't get it to work.

what were you diving on LOL!!

I happen to read this recent article and I am posting this knowledge for dog owners.
"How to easily remove a tick from your dog without pulling it out"
(Watch the 30sec video clip)
How to remove a tick

I get a lot of them diving around the quarries, they can jump a long ways. Another way to get them off is coat them with liquid soap, vasiline, or anything like that. They start to suffocate and extricate themselves quickly.

This is the season when Deerticks are in their larval form and can only be seen with a microscope. My daughter contracted Lymes diesease two years ago over the Memorial day weekend. She got so sick (like a rag doll). Luckily, she had a big purple swollen area behind her ear, so I knew what it was right away and got her on antibiotics. She missed the last few days of the first grade, but was OK after that.

:laurel:

Quite the double entendre!

Trust me. It's a lot less sexy and a lot more gross when you are ACTUALLY covered in ticks. :wink1:

I live on an island in S.E. Georgia, possibly the tick capital of the world, so I too know about these critters. I would not have guessed that ticks would abound in Canada. If not in high brush bug spray around boots, ankles, feet will do a lot of good. Also string dipped in kerosene and tied around boot works well. I know a surveyor who drinks large quantities of Coors and he swears this works. Probably just makes him feel better about the situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom