Tiger shark encounter - what would you have done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two thoughts. First, as an instructor teaching in the waters of Monterey Bay, Califonina, it became well know that there were several seals, that when hearing the click of the bands on a gun, or the twang of a pole spear, knew the sound of the diner bell. Many divers lost their kill and sometimes their weapons. Sharks can be trained. A cautionary tale. Second. Between all my dive partners in Hawaii, all of whom are spear and trap fisherman, (I don't) there have been 10's of thousands of dives, and not one shark "hit". Close encounters of the terrifying kind, but no hits.There may have been other spearfishermen hit, but none that I know of since 1977. However, while deco for 90-120 minutes drifting in the Auau channel off Lahaina, Maui we all have been watched very closely by very large tigers. Some more agressively than others, coming within 3-4 feet and making a quick turn. For a long time we carried bang sticks or billy clubs, and never used them. Numerous times on the bottom while working, I would look up and see several tigers making big circles, slowly. At any time if ANY shark want's you or what you have, it will take it, and very quickly. There is no question that sharks are programmed to be attracted by the various stimuli of its prey, and thats the chance you take when killing fish and they make diner bell sounds into the deep.
All that being said, if you continue to kill fish, you might consider a very long stringer, and the shark will hopefully go for your catch. Carry a short billy with spikes and practice with it, the first time you need it should not be the learning time. Wetsuit material does not emminate in the shark food register, although a quick bump and test nibble is always possible. Sharks, like people, do not like being hit in the nose, nor do they like loud and unknown noises coming at them from large strange shaped objects. Buddy up and scream. Sometimes in the moment thats hard to remember.
Hope these few thoughts are helpful. Oh yeh, remember to breathe, and exhale on the way up.

1. Never drop your catch. After he's done with it your next.

2. Sharks like the bottom. If you see one, just move up 20-30 feet and see if it follows, most times it won't.

3. If it follows, immediately chase the shark and close the distance. Shark's aren't used to being chased and will back down. They don't like being yelled at either, it's a threat to them.

4. If you have 3+ sharks circling you, you waited too long to take aggressive action.

I'm a spearfisherman in Jupiter and we encounter sharks on almost every dive, well over 150 in the past 3 years. I've punched many but never had to kill one. Sharks are just like dogs chasing you on a bike, stop and turn immediately when you see them and back them down. But if you continue to run and flee, your going to have a problem. If the dog/shark's mindset has changed from inquisitive to full blown chase/mealtime, you're too late.

Watch for the posture of the shark with an arched back, fins down, and sharp tail flips. Get aggresive at first sight and close the distance.

I agree with Johnoly completely, especially about the arched behavior and rushing the shark. If you see the arched body with jerky movements, you have crossed into big boys territory, and back off. Territory is something most animals will fight and attack to defend. However, I have frightend and driven off some very big courious Tigers by buddying up, keeping our coral load between us on the deco line, and yelling, shouting and growling at the shark while swimming towards them. I have had sharks follow me up from 200+ feet to my deco line. Oceanic White Tips are a bit more agressive, but even the Tigers and Gray Reefs will follow you up. Remember, basically all sharks ares cavengers, and have been for 350,000,000 years. They are very successful, and are not bold, only old.

What i do when i spear fish is I carry a long line attached to a buoy. When I get a fish I sent it up the string keeping it away from me. Belive me I had my share of encounters where they ate the fish right from the line. But who am I to stop them? Like Al said Tigers are the BOSS

Happy Diving :)
T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom