Tiger shark experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
Nice pictures! Only tiger shark encounter I've had was with a giant 22 footer while I was kayaking the Sea of Cortez.

22'? Holy crap! I'm going to be diving the Sea of Cortez in September. I won't be discussing this thread with my dive buddy.

Jcsgt:
22'? Holy crap! I'm going to be diving the Sea of Cortez in September. I won't be discussing this thread with my dive buddy.

We were in an 18' double kayak as the shark approach the bow where I was paddling. It turned slightly and looked up at me as it struck the kayak and lifted the bow partially out of the water. My paddling buddy and I both estimated it as 4 ft longer than the kayak. The local shrimp fleet called it "el grande tiburon" and called us the bravest men in the Sea of Cortez for being with it int he little kayak. It had taken a few crew members who had slipped off the decks over the years

Tell me more about Scarface. How big is the shark? I was told about 18'. Is that right? It definitely seemed that long.

Is scarface an aggressive tiger or is he use to divers?? What do you mean he'd be dead without the feedings??

I beleive all the tiger sharks that show up at either of the big shark feeds here are generally curious and strike awe into the other sharks, including bulls, but never aggressive at all. Rusi at Beqa Adventure Divers briefs punters not to try and touch them as they will come close as they like the bubbles on their bellies!

There are a couple of sharks here that would not survive in the wild as they have dissabilities which would prevent them being able to predate (is that the verb?). The feeds have given them a regular source of food which has kept them alive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom