Tightening up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I am looking to tighten up, more than to lose weight."

I'm not real sure what this means but I will try to help anyway.

Spot reduction does not work; it is physiologically impossible unless liposuction is involved.

You could do weight training which will tone your muscles but you will still have fat on top of them making that area look even bigger.

You can do cardio, but that mostly works the cardiovascular system like the lungs and heart.

The best way to lose fat is to do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). This is a type of cardio but instead of going on forever at one speed you vary your speeds during the workout from slow to fast and back again for 7 or 8 rounds (or 5 or 6 whatever you can do). It varies the heart rate into fat burning zones (50-65% Max heart rate) and cardio zones 65-75% MHR)

Someone mentioned crossfit, and I have to agree it is a very efficient workout program. My wife, who is a personal trainer and trains only women agrees this works well.

On a side note, many women worry about gaining massive muscle but this is also impossible physiologically without outside help from steroids.

Anyway, good luck and the best guidance I can give you, through my own personal experience is to stay consistent and you will reach your goals.

I've heard the best thing to do (but who really has time for this) is to do cardio in the morning (30-60 minutes) to jump start your metabolism first thing in the day. Then do weights and strength things in evening.

I actually joined this tiny gym that is within a 3 minute walk from my home. I went this morning and did 20 minutes on the eliptical (is that how you spell it?) I am going to stop by tonight on my way home to do the other machines. I just don't have the time to do both in the morning. And to save them all for after work, well, then I'd risk not doing ANY exercise during the day, if I have to work late, or something else came up.

"I am looking to tighten up, more than to lose weight."

I'm not real sure what this means but I will try to help anyway.

This means that I am a good "weight" and that I fit into the clothing size I want to fit into. I just want the muscles and skin tone to be tighter, overall. Someone can be small, weigh little, yet be out of shape and "jiggly" anyway. I don't want to be "jiggly". That's ok for jellyfish, but not for me! :rofl3:

Ok, I've gotten lots of good advice here! I like the sound of that HIIT! I will try that while I do my "cardio" type exercising! I do want more muscle definition, so I will do weight training as well.

Thanks everyone!!

Back
Top Bottom