Tightening up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAddictedLisa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking to tighten up, more than to lose weight.

Some people have told me to do cardio. Others say strength exercises (like crunches or weights).

I could mix it up, I guess. But does that mean do cardio on days 1, 3, and 5 and do strength on days 2, 4 and 6? Or does that mean do a little of both on every day?

Anyone here have an opinion on what would be best?

I don't know how this would work for someone starting out, but I do a routine of:

-5-10 pullups
-15-20 pushups using a balance board
-50-75 crunches/situps

Do those 3 things 5 times with little to no rest between sets

Every other day, sometimes every day, but beginning should do it every other day, don't forget to stretch, then after that routine, static hang on a pull-up bar for as long as you can, not until it hurts, but until you fail.

I also throw in Mountain biking, running, free-weights, swimming, different forms of push-ups and pullups, v-sits, and such.

I hope I helped a little, any questions, feel free to ask

For a very good general fitness / strength / tightening workout visit crossfit.com

Thanks Aquaman13! I don't have the balance board. I have used them before though, and they really require you to keep a tight core! I'll see if I can figure an alternative out.

Whoji, thanks for the website! I'm going to check it out right now! (p.s. - I love Family Guy!!)

Thanks Aquaman13! I don't have the balance board. I have used them before though, and they really require you to keep a tight core! I'll see if I can figure an alternative out.

Whoji, thanks for the website! I'm going to check it out right now! (p.s. - I love Family Guy!!)

One alternative for a balance board is just putting a board the width of you shoulders on a dumbelll, doesn't work as well, but it still works, another great pushup is pretty simple in concept but quite challenging, use a basketball or small yoga ball of the same size and place your hands on that, very good workout and improves balance too, also, take three chairs and use those for your hands and feet, improves endurance and really works you out.

Another great website is Workout Routines & Exercises - New iPod Videos!, gives specific muscles worked out, great detailed instructions, videos and an index of very many exercises, most without equipment, which is what I do, plyometrics seem to be better overall than just weights, I'm a climber and paddleboarder, so I do a lot of body weight exercises, working great for me.

Hope this helps

I called a local health club today, to find out the hours they are open. The guy answered the phone with "Holla!"

I was so caught off guard, that I didn't say anything at first. Then he said "Hello?!?" And when I asked "Is this "suchandsuch" Health Club?" he got all serious and sounded embarrassed for answering the phone that way!

I guess even though it was a bit unprofessional, if the equipment looks good, I may join anyway. I'm going to stop by tonight on my way home to check them out.

(the good thing ... they have a pool! I like swimming for exercise.)

A sense of humor is always good, I'll call a dive shop where I know the owner and ask for things such as hoseless regulators, cave diving snorkels, clear aluminum 80s so I can see how much air I've got left, things like that. You get funny responses, then you tell them who it is, they get a kick out of it.

(Almost?) any well rounded fitness program will help "tighten you up" (muscle wise) but I don't think 'spot reduction' of fat deposits is a reality. Still, go for it !!!

Cardio is more aimed at losing weight, where as strength excercises are to tone. Any good workout regiment is going to incorporate both. I believe Cardio also helps your increase (or at least maintain a high) metabolism.

My personal workout regiment is

Monday 5-10 minutes cardio, upper body, abs
Tuesday 30 minutes cardio, abs
Wed 5-10 minutes cardio, lower body, abs
Thurs 30 minutes cardio, abs
Fri 5-10 minutes cardio, upper body, abs
Sat 5-10 minutes cardio, lower body, abs

I've heard the best thing to do (but who really has time for this) is to do cardio in the morning (30-60 minutes) to jump start your metabolism first thing in the day. Then do weights and strength things in evening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom