Time for new fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

furby076

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been diving for just over two years now and have been using the Oceanic Vortex V-16 Split Fins

I noticed this weekend the fins are developming some cracks right in front of the toe area (probably when the fins get bent on getting back onto a boat/surface).

Given that I am looking for new fins but never had ones other then these so am at a loss.
I am 6'3", 225 lbs, and strong. I am looking for something new and would like your thoughts.

The ones I did look at are:

Mares X-Stream Open Heel Fins
AquaLung Slingshot Open Heel Fins

Ok they both look really cool - but thoughts, suggestions are appreciated on these or others since testing out all of the different options is not feasible.

Something that can take a beating (cause I abuse things), and provides good performance. Weight is not too much of an issue for me (again I am a big guy).

Regards

Force Fins pro with a Bungie srap and you will never have too buy new ones. (Takes a bit learning to swim with, but when thats sorted, youre as agile as a seal and fast :D) don bother with any other model tho!
Force Fin Pro Force Fin

ATB.
OdinFO

It would seem that fins should last longer than a couple of years. It would not hurt to contact Oceanic to see if they are still under warranty. I would love force fins, but lack the funds at this time. I have used Mares plastic fins for many years of abuse over rocks, etc. No problems. Just replace the strap every couple of years.

The hinges/joints on the fins listed as well as the Seawing Nova may be questionable as to how well they will hold up after being bent over that does occur with fins at times.

I have the v-drives from Oceanic. They're really hard to frog kick with. I now dive exclusively with Hollis F-1's. They are friggin awesome, pretty cheap and come standard with spring straps. If you like a fast fin for all types of kicks, the F-1 is great.

Force Fins pro with a Bungie srap and you will never have too buy new ones. (Takes a bit learning to swim with, but when thats sorted, youre as agile as a seal and fast :D) don bother with any other model tho!
Force Fin Pro Force Fin

ATB.
OdinFO

These fins seem different. Did you have other fins before them? I take it less fatigue, power to generate, and fast?

It would seem that fins should last longer than a couple of years. It would not hurt to contact Oceanic to see if they are still under warranty. I would love force fins, but lack the funds at this time. I have used Mares plastic fins for many years of abuse over rocks, etc. No problems. Just replace the strap every couple of years.

The hinges/joints on the fins listed as well as the Seawing Nova may be questionable as to how well they will hold up after being bent over that does occur with fins at times.

I contacted Oceanic but their warranty says two years... Talk about fatigue in time.

I have the v-drives from Oceanic. They're really hard to frog kick with. I now dive exclusively with Hollis F-1's. They are friggin awesome, pretty cheap and come standard with spring straps. If you like a fast fin for all types of kicks, the F-1 is great.

I've never had to frogkick. I either do the scissor or dolphin kick, but I am getting more into wreck/cave diving so will need to learn. I've seen a number of people with those fin types - they always looked heavy duty and more "military/scuba welding" type. They look wide and short?

These fins seem different. Did you have other fins before them? I take it less fatigue, power to generate, and fast?

I started using Turte back fins Big long,wide heavy stiff fins which require alot of muscle but still they worked fine! Dove for a couple years with them but did trim a couple of inches of the length then I bought the Force fins I had never seen before and now swear by them! I have had this pair for about 7-8 years the fins are fine a few scruffs here and there of course!
As for other fins I have tried the Oceanic Vortex V-16 Split Fins a couple of times and I did not like em (maybe thats just me).
However s Here in the Faroes each and every commercial diver uses them and at least 50% of the recreatinal divers use em.
And wilst discussing this with other divers.
Your legs dont cramp. they are easy to remove u can stairs ladder everything and bend them backwards and they can take it!
Im just saying beacause it sucks to keep buying new gear all the time
They are expensive but they last!
Hope this helps.
ATB. Terji:D

The F1's are heavy, which worked good for trimming me. In the water, they are really not noticeable, and for the control in speed and various kicks, I wouldn't have minded the weight anyway. The sizing is great and the spring straps are awesome. They cost about $140 retail, so alot cheaper than Oceanic fins too. They are definitely not short, but could be considered a little wider than V-Drives. I could look later and see how much wider.

Definetly try out some differnt ones. But I would recomend the XS Scuba Turtle fins or ScubaPro Jets or The Hollis F1 fins. I dive the turtles and my G/F dives with the Jets essentially same fin just different sizes and for both of us out of the 4 different fins we have tried those are the best for us. The Hollis fin has gotten good reviews and looks cool But have not had ther oppertunity to try it out.

If you are getting into wreck or cave diving, then paddle fins are your best bet. Most of the divers I know who do that sort of diving seem to gravitate toward Scubapro Jetfins. I recently bought some and they fully live up to their high reputation. They are tough and can last through decades of diving.

I also have a pair of TUSA X-10 Liberators and they are a good fin at an economical price, though they don't have quite the power and maneuverability of the Jets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom