Time of Tech Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
What are the time and depth constraints for each level of certification under the TDI program? Looking at how the gain in depth or time may influence going beyond the recreational limit of 130ft.

What are the time and depth constraints for each level of certification under the TDI program? Looking at how the gain in depth or time may influence going beyond the recreational limit of 130ft.

The courses are progressive. Each has a specific skill progression for example

Advanced Nitrox is a no-stop program with a maximum training depth of 130 fsw
Decompression Procedures allows for decompression diving to a maximum training depth of 150 fsw. Extended Range has a maximum depth of 180 fsw, Trimix is 200fsw and Advanded Trimix is 330 fsw.

For the most part there are no time limits set. What is set is the minimum accumulated dive time in minutes per course that need to be achieved. Most instructors train using strict rule of thirds gas managment rules and that will define the bottom time and required decompression time of a particular dive.

These are things you will begin to learn in your first courses. The progression is:

Nitrox, Advanced Nitrox / Decompression then off to Trimix.

The entire series of courses should take about 18 - 24 months to complete with a lot of diving in-between courses to become familiar and proficient with the skills and techniques you have been taught.

Cheers

Joel has pegged it. Would just add that the depths he cites are maximums allowable (YMMV) and each level also requires a minimum combined bottom time for course dives... for example 100 minutes for Decompression Procedures.

You will find that within the standards, different TDI instructors working in different regions and conditions vary the average depths, bottom times and decompression obligations on training dives (programs I run in Florida are quite different in these regards to ones run in the Great Lakes or Atlantic Northeast for example).

You may also be interested in starting out with a TDI Intro-to-Tech program... a good grounding in the basic skills and techniques you will find useful as you progress through our system.

Where do you do your diving?

You guys sure Advanced Nitrox does not allow deco?

Like most people I did a combined Advanced Nitrox/Decompression Procedures course and it is hard to tell which course is which.

Like most people I did a combined Advanced Nitrox/Decompression Procedures course and it is hard to tell which course is which.

If you do Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures at the same time then, of course, you will do decompression dives as part of the course. If Advanced Nitrox is being taught seperately and the student has not taken a decompression procedures course, then decompression dives would not be allowed. Personally, I think TDI should combine the two courses into one.

If you do Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures at the same time then, of course, you will do decompression dives as part of the course. If Advanced Nitrox is being taught seperately and the student has not taken a decompression procedures course, then decompression dives would not be allowed. Personally, I think TDI should combine the two courses into one.

And add He from the start...

Yep, they are separate courses, but they are mostly taught in combination. I have only taught advanced nitrox diver or instructor programs as a stand-alone to folks going on to dive or teach SCR and CCR...

For the record, that is one reason they remain distinct courses. Advanced Nitrox is a requirement with air-diluent training (no-deco) on CCR.

For the record, that is one reason they remain distinct courses. Advanced Nitrox is a requirement with air-diluent training (no-deco) on CCR.

Why? How is "advanced" nitrox different than "normal" nitrox? I glanced through my buddy's TDI AdvNitrox manual and couldn't for the life of me figure out what it included that hadn't already been taught in my first nitrox class. Amazingly, the equations were the same!

I think it's just because with higher O2 fractions you are 1)more likely to reach your dive or daily CNS maximum 2)dive at a (shallower) depth where you might exceed your ppO2 limit 3) have equipment considerations that you are not used to- like requiring O2 clean tanks and regs. So you do learn all these things in basic nitrox, but you aren't exposed to the risks as readily at <40% compared to 40-100%.

Thanks for the info, but it kinda missed the mark of what I wanted to learn quickly. Please answer the following: What is the gain in time for a dive to say 200fsw?

You see I have advanced certification PADI and the allowable times for a dive to 130fsw is too short to enjoy. I am looking into future dives to 200- 250 ft for some wrecks, but how much time can you spend at those types of depth. I understand that deco diving opens up an entire new skill set. What i wonder is, what is the impact on time. I could not imagine it is as simple as calculating stops and now you can dive for as long as you have air? Or is it? I mean say you have doubles how long a deep are we talking.

Finally, can you rent any of the rebreathers or other advanced equip or is it to buy?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom