Time of the month at the wrong time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soozie2

Reaction score
Maybe TMI - do not read if of a squeamish nature...

Now 4 weeks away from 5 days' boat diving in the Red Sea (no pun...), and have realised that it will be just over that week that I have a period. Unfortunately the past two months have been dreadful - the sort where you flood during the first two days whatever precautions you take, and then 4/5 days of shoring up to the hilt night and day! omg, what to do...

The sanitary conditions on the boat are primitive and anyway can't wear external protection underneath a wetsuit on a dive. There's a limit to the number of tampons you can use at any one time, and not even confident that that would work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this one?

BTW had thought about asking my GP for 2 months' supply of the contraceptive pill, then taking them back to back to stop it happening, but can't because I'm 47 and they don't like giving them to old women like me!

Any advice would be really welcome - anxiety over this one is putting a real damper on the trip.

Soozie2

Soozie2:

Now 4 weeks away from 5 days' boat diving in the Red Sea (no pun...), and have realised that it will be just over that week that I have a period. Unfortunately the past two months have been dreadful - the sort where you flood during the first two days whatever precautions you take, and then 4/5 days of shoring up to the hilt night and day! omg, what to do...

The sanitary conditions on the boat are primitive and anyway can't wear external protection underneath a wetsuit on a dive. There's a limit to the number of tampons you can use at any one time, and not even confident that that would work.

BTW had thought about asking my GP for 2 months' supply of the contraceptive pill, then taking them back to back to stop it happening, but can't because I'm 47 and they don't like giving them to old women like me!

Any advice would be really welcome - anxiety over this one is putting a real damper on the trip.

Soozie2

Soozie, you're not alone! I too have had this "problem" while on a liveaboard in the Red Sea! :11:

Frankly, I have found that the super absorbant version of a certain brand of tampon (starts with P ends in X :)) worked well. However, as you well know, you still have to be prepared to change a few extra times at the heavy/beginning of the cycle in order to keep things in check. (Fact of life for some of us, I'm afraid.)

Meanwhile, all I can say now is thank goodness for menopause! :wink:

There was a thread a while back about a new product. I forgot what its called but the diver women just loved them. It is a cup like thing and you can leave it in place for 12 hours I think. I even watched the commercial on the internet and I almost ordered some free samples but I forgot. Anyway, that would be a great option for you. Maybe someone will remember the name of this new product.I'll check the internet and write back if I find out.

On page 3 of this forum you will find a post about the new "Instead." It has a link to the internet commericial and lots of opinions about it. It really seems great and perfect for diving!

I take the pill back to back (endo) and it works well....sorry that you can't go that way.

I think this is what luvespoodles was referring to.

Thanks for the advice - I've checked out the website and will try to get hold of some.

Soozie2

Soozie2:

Soozie2

Soozie2,

I am a registered nurse that works in the GYN field. First of all, although it is common, it is not normal to have that heavy of a period. You definitely should discuss this with your doctor. As for your trip prediciment, although you are 47, and assuming that you don't smoke, you can take a hormone called Provera, to stop the bleeding for your trip. You take one tablet once a day for 5-10 days (usually 5), you also can receive an injection of another hormone, Premarin, and this will slow/stop the flow almost immediately. When you return, they can do all of the necessary testing to see exactly what the problem is

pmarc
Thanks for your advice. The reason for the ghastly menorrhagia at the moment is settling down after having a coil inserted about 10 weeks ago - hopefully this will get better over the next few months, but I'll have it removed it if doesn't. Wish we just had an OFF switch we could throw once baby days are over!

Soozie2
x

Just to let you know (cos we like to hear happy endings), my period came a week early so am now shored up but as I'm still shore-bound until we actually get onto the boat next Tuesday, all should be fine. How fantastic is that! There is a G_d!

Soozie2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom