Time to Decide - S95 or G12 - Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I plan to just drill holes in a step ring and screw on 67mm wet lenses when needed, cost is about $5. This will give me more working distance.

Canon G9 & G7 housing - DIY 67mm lens adapter - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums
I saw that link and I've been toying with doing something similar so that I could use the macro wet lens from my old Motor Marine II. It is a bayonet mount and I have the mating piece. I would just need to fabricate a holder for it. Not nearly as convenient as pressing a super macro button but it might be worth trying. I only used the built in flash with the Pentax Optio and I don't know if that would work using the S95 with and extra macro lens out front.

S95 closest focusing distance is about 2 inches. G12 closest focusing is 1 cm. Olympus XZ-1 closest focusing is 1 cm. Sea & Sea DX-2g closest focusing is 1 cm. If you want the best macro go with a camera allowing focusing to 1 cm.

The main issue is how much time you plan to dedicate to shooting. If you plan to shoot regularly (more than once a month) the extra investment is well worth the cost. If photography is a hobby while vacationing then the difference between the S95 and the G12 is academic.

Both the S95 and the G12 have full manual settings. Manual is essential to allow yourself growth as a photographer.

Most importantly, have fun with whatever you choose.

Craig

Craig - Thanks for the post. I'm leaning towards the s95, but at the end of the day I just might close my eyes and flip a coin -- either camera will produce nice results. My diving is limited because we own a family amusement park and summers are impossible. Winter I dive a quarry, but it is cold leaving the spring for my warm water location. Maybe my decision should be based on which camera I like to use topside. Thanks for the input -- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom