Time to Decide - S95 or G12 - Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funland111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I currently use a Canon A640 and Canon housing with an Ikelite AF-35 strobe. I just enjoy underwater photography to help document my experiences, but I have no aspirations to market any pictures - just for fun. I would like to upgrade my system while keeping the AF-35 slave flash. Currently my opportunities to dive are limited due to my business, so investing in a high end system doesn't make any sense.

I have limited the field to the following: S95 with Canon housing, S95 with Ikelite housing or G12 with Canon housing. I talked with an individual with experience using the G12 with the Ikelite housing, and he said the Ikelite housing for the G12 was the worst Ikelite housing he has ever used --- I don't know!

Heading to Aruba in March, so I need to decide one one of the above --- appreciate the comments.

Thanks

Bill

I'm an absolute rookie at underwater photography, so consider the source.:D

I have an S90 and love it. I've had it down to 97' with the Canon housing with no troubles, but I'm pretty careful with the o-ring -- cleaning it and the channel in the housing, as well as making sure it's properly greased before each dive, and before storing it. I also make sure I work all the controls on the housing in the camera bucket after each dive, and again when I get back to the room while in the shower. No sticky buttons so far!

I take about 30 pics a dive, and even with a cheapie aftermarket battery, it has plenty of juice for a 2 tank dive trip (but I also have a slave strobe fiber optically fired with the S90 flash at 2/3rds power). It's a pretty fast camera, too. Settings are easy to adjust on manual -- though some don't like that you can't use the rear control ring in the Canon or Ikelite housings. You get around that by using the shift button with the macro and flash functions.

I like it's compactness on land, too -- fits nicely in my pocket.

From what I read here, the g series has better macro, but the S has a wider aperture. I'm not sure the aperture comparison is that big of a deal. I'm partial to getting the max depth of field, since my skills ain't that great. F7.1 or F8 for me! Of course, with the G series, you get a hot shoe.

Can't really comment on the housings, but I think the Ikelite has a lense mount, whereas the Canon does not (but you can get adaptors for that).

Some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0854s.jpg
    IMG_0854s.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0803s.jpg
    IMG_0803s.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0827s.jpg
    IMG_0827s.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0869s.jpg
    IMG_0869s.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0887s.jpg
    IMG_0887s.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 65
Funland ,FWIW, I was kinda in the same boat-----shot the A570(no ext strobe in a Canon housing--some of those pics are below) for almost 4 years now & recently went the S95 route..For me, it was the little more 'compactness' I guess--for traveling......Was really thinking of the G12 in Sept but got on the S95 trail after that.....

Hi Bill. I've been a bit disappointed that the S95 has less macro capability than my old Pentax Optio 5mp. However, it focuses fast and does a great job at other than macro ~ especially in clear water.

I'm using the Canon housing as so far zero problems. No external strobe (though it would be nice) but here in the dark`n`murky PNW I've some success with continuous lighting from a diffused HID. That same kind of lighting didn't work as well in clear water.

Hi Bill. I've been a bit disappointed that the S95 has less macro capability than my old Pentax Optio 5mp. However, it focuses fast and does a great job at other than macro ~ especially in clear water.

I'm using the Canon housing as so far zero problems. No external strobe (though it would be nice) but here in the dark`n`murky PNW I've some success with continuous lighting from a diffused HID. That same kind of lighting didn't work as well in clear water.

Pug, out of curiosity, would you mind expounding on the "less macro capability"--of the S95 vs the Pentax.....TIA....Joe

Well, a picture is worth a thousand words:
small tube worm ~ this is reduced to 540wide, the full sized file is incredible if I do say so myself :D
tube_worm3.jpg

I can't focus this close with the S95. The Pentax Optio had a super macro setting.

I had a G9 w/Canon housing and a S90 with a Ikelite housing - I liked the Canon housing better because the buttons seemed to be more precise and easy to use than the Ikelites. I found the Ikelites button required more effort to push and a bit stiffer this held true for the knobs as well. The Ikelite housing seemed a bit heavier and better constructed than the Canon. So my advise - if you can find some shops that carry the cases - to try them out.

I had a G9 w/Canon housing and a S90 with a Ikelite housing - I liked the Canon housing better because the buttons seemed to be more precise and easy to use than the Ikelites. I found the Ikelites button required more effort to push and a bit stiffer this held true for the knobs as well. The Ikelite housing seemed a bit heavier and better constructed than the Canon. So my advise - if you can find some shops that carry the cases - to try them out.

+1 on the Canon housing-----that cheap thing has lasted me almost 4 years(for the A570) and has well over 200 dives on it---& have never had a button sticking problem or a leak(& it's been put thru the ringer with a lot of abuse)...dang I hate that thing, :D....

Well, a picture is worth a thousand words:
small tube worm ~ this is reduced to 540wide, the full sized file is incredible if I do say so myself :D
tube_worm3.jpg

I can't focus this close with the S95. The Pentax Optio had a super macro setting.

Very nice image. I find the S90 to be OK on Macro, but I have to get close and can't use a strobe. So a wet macro lens would be great.

There is a commercial two piece mount adapter that works for the DC35, but it's expensive and two pieces. I plan to just drill holes in a step ring and screw on 67mm wet lenses when needed, cost is about $5. This will give me more working distance.

Canon G9 & G7 housing - DIY 67mm lens adapter - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

Back
Top Bottom