Time to gear up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlexFrost

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello everyone, I decided to get certified but I need some gear in order to do that.

I need:

A Mask
A snorkel
A Wetsuit
Fins
Booties

I am completely clueless when it comes to brand and quality materials.
Which brands or materials should I get. I would like to keep my expenses for everything around $300-$400. Any help from this wonderful community would be greatly appreciated

Alex,
Your dive class should include rental gear or have gear available for rent. I wouldn't by anything until you are certified and completed a few dives to figure out what you like. Hope this helps, Joe

Sent from my LG-P710 using Tapatalk

Indeed, course usually includes the rental of gear. Regardless, wether now or after the course, stop in at your LDS and ask what they recommend, they are there to help.

Do you really need to buy a wetsuit right now? It's much easier and cheaper to rent one for a while. You'll know what to look for in a wetsuit after you get some diving in. You could try to rent pretty much all of the gear. Just because the shop requires you to provide your own gear, doesn't mean that it can't be rental gear. The important thing is that it needs to be real scuba gear, not cheaply made snorkeling gear.

The snorkel is the exception: get a cheap snorkel. A fancy, heavy snorkel will just pull on your mask strap and make your mask leak. A flexible hose at the bottom is good, so it falls out of the way when you're not using it. After class, you won't be using the snorkel very much, unless you're into snorkeling. If you're into snorkeling, your existing snorkel might be ok, as long as it's not too heavy.

For the mask, get one that fits very well, one that's actually made for scuba (more sturdy than snorkeling gear), and one that's comfortable. Try the masks on to see how they fit, and how they affect your vision. If you can try the masks in the water to make sure they fit and don't leak, that's even better. I'm not a big fan of rental masks, because they're known for not fitting well, and leaking.

For the fins/booties, buy the booties first to make sure they fit properly into the fins. Definitely try on the booties, and the fins with the booties. Get fins that are designed for scuba diving. Used fins are OK if they're still in very good condition. Booties are not expensive. I personally wouldn't rent booties or buy used ones because of the risk of foot fungus.

Everything he said^.

Maybe start here: Naples Scuba Diving | Scuba Outfitters of Naples FL - no personal experience with them but they sell reputable brands and have a pool. Oceanic is a good mid-range brand, Atomic Aquatics is more of a premium line - and priced accordingly. Atomic has fixed prices so buying locally or on-line should be about the same. I dive their regulators - it's very good stuff. Give a local shop a chance to earn your business also - you'll be going somewhere for air/trips etc. So maybe start with them - or any other local shops in your area.

If you feel like a road trip, Divers Direct in Dania Beach (FLL) has a lot of gear also. And knowledgeable people to help you buy it.

Most mask/fins/boots/snorkel packages will be around $300ish. Masks fall well under $100, Paddle fins around $100 +/-. $50 fins work also. Split fins are more since they have a patent fee that all the mfr's pay. Boots are $20-30+ and snorkels are $20-30. You probably only need a 3mil wetsuit in the summer in your area and they're fairly inexpensive also.

Ask other divers you meet what they like/use. And don't buy any of the expensive pieces - BC, Regulators, Computer - until you're certified - maybe even dive a while first with rental gear. Most shop rental gear is designed to be workhorse gear and not optimized for your personal diving - one size fits all - none well. An example of this is a jacket-style BC. You'll probably train in one. Many people then buy one but often later find that a back-inflate design is more optimal and certainly less cluttered in front so they switch.

Also some people do fail certification for various reasons - if you have to return gear it's now used and probably subject to at least a re-stocking charge. Even if you only used it twice in the pool.

Hello everyone, I decided to get certified but I need some gear in order to do that.

I need:

A Mask
A snorkel
A Wetsuit
Fins
Booties

I am completely clueless when it comes to brand and quality materials.
Which brands or materials should I get. I would like to keep my expenses for everything around $300-$400. Any help from this wonderful community would be greatly appreciated

Mask: One that fits.
Snorkel: Something cheap
Wetsuit: one that fits and is appropriate for the water temps you will be diving in
Fins: make sure they fit
Booties: again make sure they fit

Are you seeing a theme here?

It is entirely true -- a mask HAS to fit. Field of vision, available colors, and everything else come second to fit, because a mask that leaks is a constant annoyance and causes diver stress. If you are lucky, an inexpensive mask will work for you, but pay what you have to for one that really fits. The best way to check fit is to place the mask on your face, hold your breath, and push on the mask with your fingers and then release. If the mask will stay put, it fits well. If it falls off immediately, it does not fit. (Inhaling doesn't work as well, because if you create enough suction, most masks will stay put.)

I also prefer the inexpensive snorkels, especially for students. The ones with the fancy dry valves are seriously top-heavy and tend to fall over, twisting the mask strap and making the mask leak.

Buy an inexpensive set of paddle fins, something like the Deep See Pulses. See if you can find a set that come with some kind of elastic, bungie or spring strap (a lot do these days). You may decide to get something else in time, but don't let anybody talk you into $200 fins to begin with, and please, do yourself a favor, and don't start your class with split fins. You may choose to use them later, but make your life easy at the beginning with paddles -- they make stabilizing yourself in the water SO much easier.

I will disagree with the folks who say not to buy a wetsuit -- if you have very little body fat, you will get cold, even in the pool. I wish more of our students had suits, because I hate throwing them out of the pool for shivering!

Quick questions. I see some snorkels have semi dry or dry written on the package.what does that mean

Also what is the difference between split fins and paddle fins?

Envoyé de mon SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 en utilisant Tapatalk

Dry, or semi-dry snorkels, have some type of valve at the top of them to prevent water from entering the open end of the snorkel. This is exactly what I am talking about when I say such snorkels are top-heavy -- the enlarged end and valve mechanism make them tend to fall over and twist the strap. It is not difficult to learn to control your airway well enough to deal with some spray in a snorkel, and the dry ones really aren't necessary. They can triple the cost of the device, and have a definite downside.

Paddle fins are fins where the kicking surface is one continuous piece. They can range from a simple "paddle" of plastic or rubber, to a more complex construction of posts and surfaces. Split fins have a split right up the middle, and are generally made of softer material. They are marketed as reducing diver effort for kicking, which they do. But they do it by reducing the resistance the fin feels when moved in the water, which makes them almost useless as horizontal stabilizers. New diving students often have trouble balancing the tank on their backs, since the tank wants to head for the bottom and any time it gets off center, it wants to pull the diver over. Paddle fins make it possible to use the feet for stability; split fins make it much harder. I have seen students go from waving their hands frantically to almost no hand motion, simply because I took the splits off them and had them use my paddle fins.

Back
Top Bottom