Time to weigh in!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jalswager

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm from Wisconsin and recently got certified while on vacation at a resort in the Riviera Maya. Loved it and it has created a new passion in my life although my family will always be first and, of course, I'm an avid golfer not to mentiona Green Bay Packer fan!!! ALL PACKER FANS.......THE BEST IS YET TO COME!

I'm doing my research into equipment so that I can find the right equipment for me and would like to get any feedback concerning weight belts vs. integrated systems. I've convinced myself to find a BC vest that accomodates weights in a secure way. Some of the newer vests seem to offer this. Doesn't this make more sense than having a seperate weight belt to worry about? I may be over simplifying this and would like to hear from more seasoned divers as to the pros and cons of either. Thank you!

Let's all keep diving and be safe! See you at the bottom!!!

The question you pose requires a pretty lengthy analysis and the conclusions will ultimately depend on what you are most comfortable with. There are pros and cons to both, belts & integrated and many divers (myself included) usually settle for somewhere in between, - some integrated - some on the belt. In any case, I will "scratch the surface here" and give you some examples of pros and cons:
Pros for the belt:
1. Easier to ditch in an emergency - all divers know where to find your belt buckle vs trying to figure out the weight release system as they are trying to fight the waves, do rescue breathing and tow you to safety. (of course we hope that never happens but...)

2. Easier during underwater BC removal - when you take off your BC - you are still wearing your weights. (With integrated, when you remove your BC, you tend to float up since you are no longer wearing any weight.)

3. Belts can be handy in emergencies - you can even use them stop extreme bleeding (tourniquet)

4. God forbid you ever get lost at sea with your buddy - boat not in sight :( You can use the belt to tie yourself and stay together. (again extreme situation but...)

5. Boat crews will love you - if the exit procedure is to take off your BC in the water and they pull it out for you - just think of extra work to pull that soaked BC with weight pockets in it:( Yes, you could remove them and hand them over one at a time, but that is not always practical.

OK, I can go on and on.. you get the picture

Now a bit for pros of the integrated:
1. Soft integrated weights conform very well to you body which can't be said for chunks of lead on your belt.

2. If you accidentally drop a pocket on your foot no big deal.. Different story if you drop the belt with solid "chunks" of lead. (yes I know there are belts with soft pockets these days, but I am staying traditional here)

3. Assuming a good securing system - it is pretty hard to loose them accidentally. Belts, on the other hand, have been know to "slip" for variety of reasons: bad buckles, wet suit compression or simply the body shape to name a few.

4. Even if you loose a pocket, you only loose part of your weights vs loosing the entire belt and having real problems when the time comes to ascent to the surface.

Over all, there is no right answer - what is better. Talk to your instructor or a people at a dive shop. Tell them what type of diving you are going to do and they will help you make a decision. Better yet, try different set ups and see what feels best - FOR YOU. Good luck to you and the PACK next year.

Thanks! Very insightful and helpful! Just to take the time and give me some specifics is greatly appreciated and tells me something about you as a diver and a person! Right now my goal is to travel to warmer climates and dive where there is great clarity, color, variety and structure. What are your favorite tropical locations for diving? Anything worth while in Illinois or Wisconsin?
Take care and may you have many safe and memorable dives and...............just a little more luck against the Pack assuming your a Bears fan!

You are welcomed. Bears always needed some luck against the Pack - maybe next time they will get it:) As far as clear and warm - Belize is my favorite for clear and warm off the boat, Bonaire for awesome shore dives and Cozumel tops my list for drift diving. Closer to home - Florida Keys is fun with some spectacular wrecks including recently sunk Vandenberg (off Key West). Still closer to home (but much colder), Bone Terre Mine near St. Louis. One of a kind experience - check them out on the web. Definitely possible in a wet suit but more fun in a dry suit. Along the same lines (and temperature) are wreck dives you can do right out of port of Milwaukee: SS Milwaukee would be a prime candidate. Other then those, the rest of stuff in IL and WI would be local quarries but you will never get good vis there. 20 feet would be considered spectacular on most days. However, those places have a lot of cool things on the bottom so you can have fun practicing your compass navigation and finding those. Just remember to dress up in a 7mm with hood and gloves regardless of time the year and you are set. Happy diving:cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom