Time to Weigh in!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jalswager

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm from Wisconsin and recently got certified while on vacation at a resort in the Riviera Maya. Loved it and it has created a new passion in my life although my family will always be first and, of course, I'm an avid golfer not to mentiona Green Bay Packer fan!!! ALL PACKER FANS.......THE BEST IS YET TO COME!

I'm doing my research into equipment so that I can find the right equipment for me and would like to get any feedback concerning weight belts vs. integrated systems. I've convinced myself to find a BC vest that accomodates weights in a secure way. Some of the newer vests seem to offer this. Doesn't this make more sense than having a seperate weight belt to worry about? I may be over simplifying this and would like to hear from more seasoned divers as to the pros and cons of either. Thank you!

Let's all keep diving and be safe! See you at the bottom!!!
:idk:

Greetings jalswager and welcome to the Scuba Board community.
You ask a common question that there really is no wrong answer it really depends on what works best for you.
I will give you my choice and the reason for it and then you can ponder it and decide for your self.

When I took my OW coarse I trained in a jacket bc and a back inflate "Dive Rite Transpac" bc.
It allowed me to experience both types and I used weight belts with both.
The reasons that I came to like about the weight belt was the on the dive adjustments that we performed to maximize trim and buoyancy.
You can perform the same with integrated just takes a little more effort and time.

Secondly I loved the modularity of the the weight belt over the pockets of the integrated bc.
I also observed that the heavier weights required for cold water diving take its toll on pockets / pouches.
It is one step to drop weights on a belt, pop the buckle and it is gone!
On the integrated it is usually a pinch, pull velcro, then it is free.

For me and the wear on gear I chose a Transpac "back inflate" bc with a weight belt.
It just seemed simple and easy to use and I was comfortable with it.
My wife chose the latter a vest with weight integrated, she dove it for about 1.5 years till she tried my AL BP single tank rig then she sold here jacket and assumed ownership of my sweet little rig.
We both use weight belts to no avail but it really is up to you.

I would suggest you try both if possible and pick what works best for you.
Your diving might change and if it does require a switch in the future anyway you just never know.
What I do know is that you may find yourself totally addicted and diving more golfing less. You never know.
I was an avid hunter who never missed a season now I hunt with my kids and my father on occasion but am diving every week end.

Good luck and always dive safe again welcome to SB good to have you aboard!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Ok Ill put the pros and cons up.....

On a weight belt you have the pros of

1.)being able to take off your BCD at depth and not so much worry about flying off uncontroled to the surface.
2.) It also makes carrying your bcd easier if you have to carry it with all gear assembled for any distance at all.
3.) if you do ditch the weights they are usually alot cheaper to replace then replacing them with the weight pouches too that come with integrated BCDS.
4.) weight belts with the exception for women whos hips are often more accomodating then mens will have a tendancy to want to slide off easily as the neoprene compresses at depth and causes the belt to become loose.
Now for the pros of Integrated BCDs.

1.) it prevents the BCD from raising up on you while your diving (Which can be fixed easily with a crotch strap)
2.) when boat diving it often is easier to climb out of the water sit down and remove the BCD and be completey free from weights and gear all in one easy motion

and there more more to both of these I am just too tired to think on them right now

I used a weight belt for many years, but recently switched to an integrated BCD. Both have benefits, and both have drawbacks. Personally, I switched because my belt seems to slip down (I have no a$$). It is more comfy for me.

I use a weight harness with a BPW set up. You might check out the local dive club scene. There's the Neptunes out of Green Bay and the Fox valley club. Then you can sit down with the local guys and pick their brains as to what works in your area. It might also introduce you to diving the Great lakes. A lot colder then Mexico, but there is some world class diving oppurtunities right here in Wisconsin.

Weight belts are a pain (literally) plus if they accidentally come loose and fall you'll have a tendency to go north. I don't like the BC since it directs too much bulk around your middle area, integrated or not. I prefer a backplate and horsecollar. Whatever weight I need with this get-up I just unzip my shorty and stick them in and zip back up. I have used a DUI harness for some years now when the operator (10% in my personal calculations) insists on all the divers wear a BC. One fault of mine is that I have a tendency to leave the harness on, with the weights, between dives if it's a short interval. This can be deadly if you might fall overbeard for one reason or the other. Either a belt or harness shifts the weight south and tends to make you bottom heavy. So there are likes and dislikes for all of the weight issues.

Hmmm - if it's possible - try out different configurations and see what works for you.

Some people like weight belts and will say that this is the way to go
Some people like integrated weights and will swear by them
Some people will tell you that a backplate and wing is the only way to dive.

It depends on your circumstances and how much weight you require. Me, I like a weight belt. Even in a 6.5mm semi-dry I only need 5kgs of lead to keep me underwater, and i like having the weight close to my body. I find that integrated weights put the weight just a few centimetres too far away from my centre of gravity, and i can distribute the 5kgs evenly and comfortably on a belt. If your weight belt hurts, it's either overloaded or set up incorrectly. If it falls off, you didn't fix it properly or it was faulty.

Integrated weights - again - there's a point where it gets too much, pulling you into an un-natural head down, feet up position, with the danger that the weights will overload the quick release buckles meaning the weight pocket falls out and then you're in danger of a rapid ascent.

If you need a lot of weight, distributing it between belt, integrated weights and the tank band will go a long way to keeping you comfortable and in control of your buoyancy and position in the water.

If you want or need a harness, make sure enough of your weight is ditchable so that you are capable of being positively buoyant at the surface.

Different strokes for different folks. Have a look at what you need, where you will be needing it, and experiment if possible.

Hope that helps a bit,

C.

jalswager,

as a Vikings fan, I'm afraid I can't agree with your views on the Packers future :no: Unfortunately, if I allow my rational mind to access the situation, I'm afraid you might be right...but all in good fun, and for history's sake...here's one from old #84 :mooner:

On a scuba note, I'd agree with some here that weight belts are a pain...they can shift around and are just generally uncomfortable. After reading a ton of posts here (a man sure can learn a thing or two here) it sounds like the best bet between safety and comfort it to have a weight belt AND integrated weights....just in cast someone needs to un-weight you at depth. Please correct me if Im wrong here fellas...I'm a newbie too!

Anyway, welcome to SB!

Howler :D

I use a weight harness with a BPW set up. You might check out the local dive club scene. There's the Neptunes out of Green Bay and the Fox valley club. Then you can sit down with the local guys and pick their brains as to what works in your area. It might also introduce you to diving the Great lakes. A lot colder then Mexico, but there is some world class diving oppurtunities right here in Wisconsin.
I love the warmth of the tropics but if I can get more diving in up here it might be worth a try. Did you ever try one of the crystal clear small springfed lakes in northern Wisonsin? It seems like it would be interesting. When diving Lake Michigan or superior is there good clarity and do dry suits keep you pretty warm? Thanks for your input!

I find that with a weight-integrated BC my back loves me quite a bit more....
With a belt, all the weight is hanging off my lower back...
With a BC, it hangs off my whole back.
I actually use both, but only about 10lbs on the belt (to help get the weight at the front) and the rest on the BC....this seems to work quite nicely.
And, a lot of the newer BC's use a quick release with just a handle to pull, no velcro, no clips. Just a quick pull and the weight is gone.
One thing to watch for though is to make sure the weight pocket is securely in place before you dive. I lean the BC forward and give it a shake to make sure the pockets are locked.

Back
Top Bottom