Tip the baggers in the grocery stores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for posting this.

There are young girls (high school?) bagging sometimes & older folks. Surprised they don’t get paid anything at all, other than tips. I’ve always wondered what I should tip them. If it is an old guy I usually throw down 1 US$, for the kids I give them change. There is usually an old guy in the parking lot of Mega that wants to help load groceries, I feel sorry for him so usually let him ‘help’ for a small tip.

Giving your small change when leaving a supermarket is certainly the right thing to do. Yesterday I just bought a hair brush at Mega. The bagger put it in a bag but I took it out and left no tip. Previous times when they pack a full basket I might leave 2-3 $. But they only work for tips so give when you can.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Thank you for posting this. I feel a bit guilty, as we didn’t know this when we were in Coz a few months ago. We’ll be sure to tip the next time around.

Don't forget to tip the gas pumpers if they don't cheat you.

If I recall, Mexico has no Social Security system like the USA has. When people get old they either live off what they were able to save over their lives, are supported financially by their kids, or keep on doing whatever work they are able to do until they die. Bagging groceries is such a job. Grocery stores in the USA should allow retirees to bag groceries for tips only to supplement their Social Security (like that would ever happen). Pretty sure if retirees in the USA were permitted to do so they'd end up making far more than minimum wage in tips.

If I recall, Mexico has no Social Security system like the USA has. When people get old they either live off what they were able to save over their lives, are supported financially by their kids, or keep on doing whatever work they are able to do until they die. Bagging groceries is such a job. Grocery stores in the USA should allow retirees to bag groceries for tips only to supplement their Social Security (like that would ever happen). Pretty sure if retirees in the USA were permitted to do so they'd end up making far more than minimum wage in tips.
Mexico has a SS system that pays people over a certain age (62??). If you are depending on Mexican SS it would be better if you didn't have any expensive habits like living in a house or eating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom