Tipping Dive Crews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter wrote...
Good for you. It should be part of the routine. It gives you a good chance to inspect the gear too, particularly if its rental gear.
Does the term rental gear give anybody else the shivers?

On the issue of having someone "handle" my equipment, on a few of my dives, I have come back aboard from the first dive gotten out of my equipment (rental) only to turn a minute later and find that one of the crew had already switched my tanks. Despite the fact that in the beginning I really needed the practice, it didn't really bother me because I would still go through my checks before the next dive and have my buddy check me. But now I have my own equipment and don't really want someone I don't know to handling it. I thought I would have a heart attack when I dove in Cozumel and they automatically switched my tanks. I never thought I would do this, but I also ended up taking it apart (bc strap on tank was too low & too loose for my comfort, my inflator hose was tangled, etc.). You would have thought I had killed a turtle the way people were looking at me. For the most part the local boats I have been on will helped me by taking my bag from the edge of the dock & putting it where they wanted me to go on the boat, they hold the weight of the tank while you shuffle to & from the water to your seat, pass around water & refreshments during SI, etc. but that seems to be standard here.

As far as tipping, most of the 2 tank dives I have taken cost around $45-50. The times I have gone to the Keys I was told $5 per trip was the norm. I firmly believe tips & respect are earned. I think 10% is o.k. if the captain just gets out to the dive site and does a dive briefing. But, considering the majority of the dives have a DM in the water with us - especially during the drift dives, I give $10 as a rule.

kjunheart wrote...
I firmly believe tips & respect are earned. I think 10% is o.k. if the captain just gets out to the dive site and does a dive briefing.
I'm afraid I missed the rationale there. Aren't transportation and standard site briefings considered mandatory and therefore included in the charter price?

metridium once bubbled...
I'm afraid I missed the rationale there. Aren't transportation and standard site briefings considered mandatory and therefore included in the charter price?

EXACTLY.

Some of the things that have been mentioned in this thread I would hope would be part of the price you pay in the first place.

Darryl

between 10-20 dollars, depending on the service. I was in the restaurant business for several years, and I know what it is like to work hard for little pay. The tips can make a big difference.

However, I know that diving is different, and I am not sure what the general pay scale is for the boat crew and DM. In general, when I get good service, I try to leave a good tip. Just my .02 cents. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom