Tipping Dive Crews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeF has a point. It never even occurred to me that I have no problem giving $150-200 tip after a week on a live-aboard, but feel ripped off at a dive shop if I have to pay $5 more than elsewhere.

I guess, being on vacation, rested and relaxed makes the difference…

MikeFerrara wrote...
The boats I go out on just park me over the wreck. Some charge $100 or more for a two dive trip. We handle my own gear and go are own way in the water. I prefer to just pay for the ride.
Wow! I was beginning to think I'm the only one who doesn't believe in paying something for nothing, Mike. :)

I agree with the other points you made too.

WreckWriter once bubbled...
Personally I find it rather amazing that so many will actually LET someone else set up their gear, much less prefer it. I guess that's the difference between divers and vacationers who happen to occasionally dive.

WW

I was going to point that outbut thought I'd be diplomatic for once. If someone messes with my equipment I'll feed em to the fish but it isn't an issue. On the boats we dive on (I'm sure it's the same for WW) it would be considered bad form to touch someones gear without being asked. Of course if you asked someone to put it together for you they probably wouldn't let you dive. LOL

WreckWriter wrote...
Personally I find it rather amazing that so many will actually LET someone else set up their gear, much less prefer it. I guess that's the difference between divers and vacationers who happen to occasionally dive.
Yup. Used to be the same way myself. Now no one below the level of tech instructor touches my gear.

metridium once bubbled...
Yup. Used to be the same way myself. Now no one below the level of tech instructor touches my gear.

And no one above the level of tech instructor will unless you paying them real money. LOL

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I was going to point that outbut thought I'd be diplomatic for once. If someone messes with my equipment I'll feed em to the fish but it isn't an issue. On the boats we dive on (I'm sure it's the same for WW) it would be considered bad form to touch someones gear without being asked. Of course if you asked someone to put it together for you they probably wouldn't let you dive. LOL

Well, you know my thoughts on diplomacy :)

On our boats if the crew carried everyone's gear on board they probably would be so worn out they couldn't run the trip.

My thinking is that if a diver can't properly set up his or her own gear they shouldn't be allowed to dive. Along those lines the only way to know if they can is for them to do so.

WW

MikeFerrara wrote...

And no one above the level of tech instructor will unless you paying them real money. LOL
Exactly! Funny how it works out like that. :D

First morning on a live-aboard during breakfast we were announced that our gear is all set up and ready to go. I almost freaked out after hearing this, but managed to contain myself. Nobody else seemed to care, so I figured: “okay, it’s normal, never mind, don’t be unappreciative…”
On the first dive I felt uneasy whole time and has not enjoyed it all that much, the fact that someone else assembled my gear kept bothering me.
Before second dive with “tank staff” looking funny at me I took it all apart and reassembled.
I guess, setting the gear up is just a part of my necessary pre-dive routine.

Lemonade once bubbled...
I guess, setting the gear up is just a part of my necessary pre-dive routine.

Good for you. It should be part of the routine. It gives you a good chance to inspect the gear too, particularly if its rental gear.

WW

Back
Top Bottom