Tipping Dive Crews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I normally tip 10-20 bucks. I was on a dive recently for a two tank dive. I stopped by the shop to pay the next night and tipped $20.00. The shop owner told me that the another group on the boat (two people from Europe) had been diving with him for four days and only tipped a grand total of $15.00.

I thought that was absurd.

Texan

Barracuda2 once bubbled...
Aggressor suggests 10% of the boat tour. I realize that $180 to $200 tip is nothing to many Aggressor clients; however, to some of us less blessed clients who save their $ for a year to charter out on a trip, this can be a tough decision. Don't get me wrong---the crew does a fantastic job all week and deserve a tip, but adding another $200 on a trip that cost a total of $3000 or more can be difficult for some of us. I do tip, but I tip what I can afford at the time and is usually about 3%-6%--I wish I could do 10%.

Barracuda2

This is how I feel as well. And remember, for us Canadians you can basically add 50% to all costs, including tips.

If I've diving in the carribbean, I'm much more inclined to tip, as often the countries are really poor. If I'm diving in US and Canada, I don't tip as well, for a number of reasons. 1) Diving is usually more expensive. 2) The dive masters and captain and whatever, and most likely not nearly in need of the tips as dms in the carribbean. If they were, they wouldn't be doing what everyone on this board would love to do.

Darryl

I generally stick to the 10% rule... Liveaboards are a different story. I would generally tip 10-15% of the boat cost, depending on service.

Everyone should remember that tipping is for good or exceptional service. I have stiffed many a DM or captain for being an A-hole or not helping me with stuff, or just being rude and not courteous.

These DM's and boat Captain's should have to EARN the tip. That way, when you give them some of your hard earned money, you feel better about it. Just to give you a little insight into this, a friend of mine just got back from a liveaboard trip in the Carribean. The boat crew was awful, and completely inadequate, and not helpful at all. Just before his trip, the boat owner had FIRED the entire crew, and hired a brand new crew. They didnt have any idea what they were doing, or anything about the dives. SOme of the people on the liveaboard got off at the first port they stopped at, and DID NOT GO BACK ONTO THE BOAT!!!
Thats how bad it was... (I won't say the name or operator of the boat)

We, as CONSUMERS, need to show our dissatisfaction with service by withholding a tip. DOn't give one if it is not deserved.

wheezy once bubbled...
You know... this reminds me of a trip to Kauai last August.
EVERYONE ON THAT TRIP STIFFED THE GUY... I couldn't belive it. The trip was not cheap, I believe it was close to $100.

Most of the time I go out diving here, I rarely see anyone tipping the DMs. Some operations put out a tip jar and mention its presence briefly, most operations say nothing about tipping at all and leave it up to the customers' discretion.

I usually dive at a discounted "club" rate - about half of the $100+ the tourists pay for a 2 tank dive, so the percentage of the cost doesn't really work for me. I always tip at least $10 to the DM, but I don't know how it is split, if at all.

.... the original inquiry was about tipping on a day boat, and now posts are showing up about tipping on liveaboards.

Be aware that these are different situations.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

No kidding, huh??? I really didnt know that there was a difference between a day boat and a liveaboard.

Also, tipping is generally not advertised, but it is accepted...

If the average live-a-board is $2000.00 pp. for the boat trip and there are 16 guest on board, that equals $32,000 gross. If each quest gave a10% tip, that's a $3,200.00 tip. Let's say there are 5-6 total crew. that's about a $600.00 tip per crew member for the week. What do you think about that?

Barracuda2

Interesting thread. Looks like some of you pay more for a tip than you many want to pay the poor diveshop for a new reg.

I gues if there are luxuries like having someone get you equipment put together and on, help in and out of the water and supervision then you should tip. The boats I go out on just park me over the wreck. Some charge $100 or more for a two dive trip. We handle my own gear and go are own way in the water. I prefer to just pay for the ride. Of course if someone does extra they should get paid extra.

I guess i'm spoiled. Everyone i've dived with in Cozumel has set up the equipment and provided great service. I went to Grand Cayman last year and the boat i dove from did absolutly nothing. I still tipped a little, but not as much as normal.

I'm spoiled. I like extra service and i generally pay for it. Of course the result is even better service the next time. :)

Texan

Personally I find it rather amazing that so many will actually LET someone else set up their gear, much less prefer it. I guess that's the difference between divers and vacationers who happen to occasionally dive.

WW

Back
Top Bottom