Tipping Diving Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deich

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just took a Padi Specialty Course and its been 20 years since my last Cert... Is anybody tipping instructors these days? She did a great job just dont wanna seem out of place if tipping isnt standard...

If so what is the standard...

Thanks, D

Just took a Padi Specialty Course and its been 20 years since my last Cert... Is anybody tipping instructors these days? She did a great job just dont wanna seem out of place if tipping isnt standard...

If so what is the standard...

Thanks, D

I've asked the same question recently.

The majority answered that tipping (unless resort location) is not usual nor required. But a bottle of good wine or something like that to say thanks is always appreciated.

not sure, but I would feel wierd about tipping an instructor. I took my instructor to lunch instead.

Well that would be called a date :wink:

so far i have lunch and a bottle of wine... now is that with or without candles... dont wanna be out of line... :)

Here a recent post I put up on this topic...

Any genuine expression of gratitude to your instructor for a job well done and thanking them for their time and effort in getting you started in the wonderful world of scuba diving will make their day. A heartfelt handshake with a smile and a "THANKS DUDE - YOU ROCK!" will more than adequately convey the message. If while you're right hand is shaking their's your other hand also offers a bottle of wine, a giftcard to TGI Fridays, or a couple of bucks, I'm sure that would be appreciated as well - but no where near as much as the sentiment itself!

That said, if you're inclined to offer a tangible recognition I'd go with something other than cash. Cash sort of says "at the last minute I thought I better pony up a tip" whereas a bottle/giftcard/etc says "I've really thought about - and appreciate - the value of the service you've delivered. So much so that I felt compelled to go out of my way to recognize it!" For me knowing someone made a special stop to pick up a decent $10 bottle of Australian wine would mean far more to me than if they shoved a hand into their shorts and pulled out a folded-up $20. Plus, I would get the benefit of that same feeling again when I drank the wine, as it would remind me of the gratitude of the student - providing further positive reinforcement. That's something you don't get when the person you "tip" spends the $20 on milk, bread, and cold cuts at the grocery store.

I am with everyone else on this.
A material gift and a big thank you, is where it is at.
Bottle of vino, chain restauraunt gift card, even a gift card for a free oil change at McOilchange would be appropriate.

Chug

I've been tipped a few times and it was always appreciated, but never expected. The best tip I've had so far was the card a girl made for me.

For some reason students seems to know I do like some good beer.
So quite offten they show up with some.:beer:
Others mention the course on dive forums.

It's just nice to know you did a good job and students liked it.
No (financial)tips so far and I don't expect them.

I have been given a few 6-packs of beer, 2 bottles of wine, had numerous lunches & dinners bought for me, and a gift cert for a gourmet dinner from students catering biz, and a comp at the bunny ranch, (I love Nevada, girlfriend didnt see the humor) , best gift is definately a good dive buddy by far...I have respectfully declined cahs tips for classes, but accept them for guided tours/ discover scuba......never really thought about the difference

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom