Tipping during training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve1962

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Do you tip for training? I took my OW with my lds, and checkout dives in Hawaii with additional training AOW and Nitrox.

For my OW certification, during training at lunch time I took the instructor out for lunch. After the certification dives, I gave the instructor and the DM each a bottle of my homemade wine and a bottle of my homemade Port. They both seemed to be very appreciative. After my AOW, I bought the instructor dinner that evening. A lot of thanks and a card sent to each thanking them.

I took the OW class portion and pool training here in CO. I did not feel the need to tip.
I did my 4 OW check out dives in Key Largo. I used a dive shop so I tipped the DM after day 2. He went out of his way to make the experience more than just skills checking.

I always struggle with this one myself. Right or wrong, here's how I've approached it. If I'm taking a class from an instructor who isn't independent and/or doesn't own the shop I'm taking the class with, I'll tip the instructor (sometimes cash, sometimes a nice dinner or a piece of gear or some other gesture).

At the point where I'm taking a course with the shop owner or an independent instructor (especially at the tech levels where you're paying hundreds/day per person) I don't. I may still buy dinner or drinks, but I don't entertain the cash option there.

I gave my OW instructor and DM gift certificates to an Italian restaurant.

Nothing for the other classes.

in the states, where many instructors have other jobs and mainly teach for the fun of it, gift certificates and bottles of wine/beer are very nice gestures. however in resort destinations, many instructors rely on gratuities to pay the bills. unfortunately most landlords, utility companies and phone service providers do not accept bottles of wine for payment :)

feel free to pick up a round if you see your instructor out at the bar, but cash is still king.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mztvoo

Back
Top Bottom