Tipping protocol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thankfully this type of SB'er rarely affords Hawaii charters.

the customers are really the reason the wages are so low.

This entitled attitude is why I now almost exclusively choose to shore dive. I annoys me that frequently while diving on a boat I feel I am expected to make the guy who chose to work in paradise happy by tipping him/her well even though I m the one on vacation. And I do tip well when receiving decent service.

Honestly Halemano it sounds like it might be time for you to move on to another job/destination that doesn't make you so bitter.

To echo Scubadobadoo, the reason that boat dives are so competitively priced and the reason why dive crew wages are accordingly skimpy is, well, competition and the free market. Apparently, the price of a boat dive is pretty well fixed at a rock-bottom level in most places by market forces. Nobody can raise prices without the divers going to the competitor. Yet, there's no real shortage in the supply of dive operators, as there seem to be plenty of people willing to work for the skimpy wages that their employers can barely afford to pay them--and there are even divemasters who will work for free, presumably because they just love diving. So, if one believes in the free market, everything is exactly as it should be.

I have no idea where this leaves the tipping question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom