Tipping when the DM and captain are the owners of the dive operation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexas

Contributor
Reaction score
I am someone who very much believes in tipping well the DM and captain, especially when they go above and beyond the call of duty. It makes sense since their wages are often low and they do not share in the profits of the business. But, what is the protocol for tipping when the DM and the captain of the boat are the owners of the dive operation and there are no other "employees" on board? Isn't tipping them just causing you to overpay the dive operation for the dives? What about the situation where the DM or the captain is the owner and the other is an employee?

ScubaTexas:
I am someone who very much believes in tipping well the DM and captain, especially when they go above and beyond the call of duty. It makes sense since their wages are often low and they do not share in the profits of the business. But, what is the protocol for tipping when the DM and the captain of the boat are the owners of the dive operation and there are no other "employees" on board? Isn't tipping them just causing you to overpay the dive operation for the dives? What about the situation where the DM or the captain is the owner and the other is an employee?

If the captain and DM are the owners, chances are they aren't exactly filthy rich, at least not from their dive operator business. I would still tip. Now, if one is an employee I would expect the owner to give the tip to the employee.

If there is a tip jar out, then they probably could use the tips.

The only time I would consider not tipping is if the boarding fee was already quite high, by comparison.

In other words, if for instance Uncle Pug took me and my wife on a fantastic giant octopi dive for a pre-agreed price, I would see no need to tip.

If they get me from point A to point B and back again without being dangerous, rude or annoying...they get a tip...otherwise they don't. Here in NC, the crew doesn't do anything for you other than operate the boat (Which I prefer)...you basically tip them on how well they did that.

I went out of Key Largo with Scuba-Do, which I think is a super operation, a really nice boat, and a really nice couple who runs it. I'm not sure that they are "a couple" or that they own the business, but that's the way I took it.

I certainly see no reason to not tip, other than the lack of a tip jar, so I just handed Laurie $10 before I stepped off the boat. To both of us, it was probably more the gesture - me thanking them additionally for a great job, but those $10 bills add up, too.

Tipping is one thing for getting service done beyond what was agreed upon, but if the dive operator or DM does nothing but operate the boat then why tip? Didn't you already pay for the trip in the fee?

When I dove down the Keys the DM did everything for me (kinda shocked and annoyed at first at him) ....he changed tanks, rinsed gear, loaded/unloaded ...you name it! He got a nice tip, but I have been on other charters where the captain just 'drove'...no tip for him - that is what the fee was for.

BUT I guess it also depends on the situation, the circumstances, the dive, the ....etc.

Aqua Ho:
Tipping is one thing for getting service done beyond what was agreed upon, but if the dive operator or DM does nothing but operate the boat then why tip? Didn't you already pay for the trip in the fee?

When I dove down the Keys the DM did everything for me (kinda shocked and annoyed at first at him) ....he changed tanks, rinsed gear, loaded/unloaded ...you name it! He got a nice tip, but I have been on other charters where the captain just 'drove'...no tip for him - that is what the fee was for.

BUT I guess it also depends on the situation, the circumstances, the dive, the ....etc.

Not the question asked.

I am someone who very much believes in tipping well the DM and captain, especially when they go above and beyond the call of duty. (The question was about possible differences for) what is the protocol for tipping when the DM and the captain of the boat are the owners of the dive operation and there are no other "employees" on board?

I saw what he asked for......and thus my reply about the captains......as already mentioned a lot of the times the charter operators will be the captains and other 'crew' on board......so unless they do something out of the ordinary, beside navigate, then no they don't deserve the tip - as I already wrote.

But thanks for picking on me! :1poke:

Aqua Ho:
But thanks for picking on me! :1poke:

Sorry - still exhausted from recent trip... :eyemouth:

I have been on a couple of boats where the owner was the captain and offered him the tip. Most owners I have dealt with refuse the tip and/or asked me to give directly to the DM.

In the case where the boat was not owner-operated and there wasn't a tip jar, I just asked the captain how they handle tips for the crew. I have found that on a lot of the boats, the crew was working for very little (sometimes for nothing - just tips) in order to get the experience and dives logged. I look at it as someone that is performing a service (just like going out to dinner or getting your hair cut)...if the service was good then a tip is warranted.

Back
Top Bottom