Tips and recommendations for my Puerto Adventuras trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have pm'd @ibj40 to the point he is probabaly contemplating putting me on the ignore list :wink: so I'll ask this to the general SB crowd.

Decided against a rental car at the airport and looks like renting in PA is not a good option. Since a day trip to the Mayan ruins (Coba and maybe Chichen if same day possible) would be the main reason for a rental is it reasonable to plan a cab to Tulum, rent a car there, then return next day or two then spend the day touring the Tulum area?

And still hoping for more restaurant suggestions outside PA, especially Tulum or places along the route to Chechen Itza

Puerto Adventuras is a pretty isolated rich white people enclave in my opinion, but it is very pretty and incredibly well kept. I know it is cheaper to do a self guided tour but honestly factoring in a cab to Tulum, rental car cost and logistics and hassles, it might be easier to just do a package tour of either Coba or Chichen Itza if you just want a day trip. And I wouldn't try doing Coba and Chichen Itza on the same day personally, lot of driving and might feel rushed, i don't think any tours do them both in one day but could be wrong. Msot places do a morning at the ruins, then an afternoon cenote stop.

Personally if I knew I wanted a car I would just rent the car at the airport or catch a bus to PDC and rent there rather than Tulum. Or if you know you won't do that, then once you walk from your place in PA to the gate at the entrance to PA you could easily catch a collectivo into Tulum, Akumal or even PDC. I think you also asked about car safety at cenotes... not Bonaire rules, I have never heard of a break in in the parking lot of a cenote since all the cenotes I have been to are privately owned and they have someone manning the gate so to speak, lock doors and should be fine

I would suggest researching collectivos, or just bus schedules, there is actually awesome public transportation around the main areas in the Yucatan. I personally don't rent a car anymore unless there are a large group of us or am doing really out of the way trips or roaming like out to Merida, Bacalar, or down to Punta Allen.

Back
Top Bottom