Tips and tricks of buoyancy control with blackout/absent mask.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tomikp, no one is against having a spare mask.

BTW. What is the name of the personage on your avatar ? It's from Czech cartoons is not it ? I think I have seen it when I was a kid. But cannot recall the name. Thanks.

I do not consider the eye-bubble to be a reliable skill unless divers use it in seas with very good visibility and "friendly" environment. I know very well what cold and dark water is able to do with diver's body and psychic in case of a mask loose. If this happens, first of all it is needed to solve the situation, quickly and reliably to prevent further mistakes and problems to be accumulated. Therefore many divers have a spare mask for this purpose, me too. In the event of a crisis, there is no time to create and catch bubbles and use them for looking and also operate your gear at the same time. But this is only a half of the problem and many divers do not do that - submerge a face for couple of seconds before each dive. This causes your face will inure to the cold water and then the face kick is much smaller.

I do not want to persuade anyone. It is up to each diver.

And as for redundancy, it depends on each dive. But what use everytime as a basice equipment are 2 knives, 2 masks, 2 tanks (incl. regs) and 2 buyoyancy sources. And I do not think it is paranoya :).

I dive in all sorts of conditions as well, the only differnce I see here is I don't count a lost mask as a crisis as I am comfortable without one.

Tomikp, no one is against having a spare mask.

BTW. What is the name of the personage on your avatar ? It's from Czech cartoons is not it ? I think I have seen it when I was a kid. But cannot recall the name. Thanks.

Very true. I'm just against him telling the OP he is lost without one, it simply isn't true.

I'll never knock anyone for having redundancy.

... and imaginate your buddy has a problem, he is in panic and tears your mask off just when you want to help him. You both need to do a deco stop. What will you do? Catch bubbles? I still say catching bubbles doesn't solve anything.

EDIT:
Sharing information is good for all divers. I do not want to quarrel but I really think a spare mask is the only reliable solution :).

And as for the avatar, yes, you can find the game here: http://www.amanitadesign.com/ and choose "flash games" in the right up corner.

... and imaginate your buddy has a problem, he is in panic and tears your mask off just when you want to help him. You both need to do a deco stop. What will you do? Catch bubbles? I still say catching bubbles doesn't solve anything.

EDIT:
Sharing information is good for all divers. I do not want to quarrel but I really think a spare mask is the only reliable solution :).

And as for the avatar, yes, you can find the game here: http://www.amanitadesign.com/ and choose "flash games" in the right up corner.

Those that I dive with are equally trained. You can, "what if" unlikely situations to pieces if you like but it will not change my reaction to it. I can effectively, in all conditions that I dive in view my gauges and safetly execute any other tasks expected of a safe dive team member. Training is key.

And just remember that you can only pack so much crap on your body. If a diver were to carry extra everything for redundancy/contingency, he or she wouldn't be able to stand up much less than jump in the water and execute a dive.

It depends on a dive characteristic. If you dive in a sea with 50m visibility, no problem. If you dive a water with 0 - 3 m visibility or an overhead environmennt it is better to little modify your gear. And it is not true you are unable to wear redundant equipment. Each piece of your equipment has its own exact place. As a realy nice example you can find the hogarthian DIR configuration. If this system is good for tech divers, it is also good for recreational divers. Also easily modified for a single tank. But this makes the SYSTEM. Not that "system" what I can ordinarily see, when divers have long octopusses and consoles and plough bottom with it. Watch some video by WKPP and you can see what everything is possible to wear and how difficult dives they do with it. And further, they also use spare masks and other spare gear.

It depends on a dive characteristic. If you dive in a sea with 50m visibility, no problem. If you dive a water with 0 - 3 m visibility or an overhead environmennt it is better to little modify your gear. And it is not true you are unable to wear redundant equipment. Each piece of your equipment has its own exact place. As a realy nice example you can find the hogarthian DIR configuration. If this system is good for tech divers, it is also good for recreational divers. Also easily modified for a single tank. But this makes the SYSTEM. Not that "system" what I can ordinarily see, when divers have long octopusses and consoles and plough bottom with it. Watch some video by WKPP and you can see what everything is possible to wear and how difficult dives they do with it. And further, they also use spare masks and other spare gear.
Dude seriously, I live in Florida I'm pretty familiar with the resident cave diving projects and teams. We are all aware of Hogarthian kits. I dive one. Feel free to carry your spare mask and pretend like no one but you dives in low vis overhead environments. Your original post to the OP was incorrect, he would not be lost. I've stated my case. Feel free to do whatever you like.

Back
Top Bottom