Tips for clearing you ears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never had a problem equalising until last weekend - as we were descending for our AOW deep dive (great timing!). I think it was due to a cold I'd had the week before. Sea Squirt had told me to equalise on the surface and not to equalise on ascent - I didn't follow her advice initially, but eventually got it.

AFter reading everyone's posts, it is now much clearer to me WHY this should/shouldn't be done. I shall religiously equalise at the surface from now on and will try out the head twitch too if I have problems!

Cheers all

That is exactly what it looks like, a blonde joke! Especially since I have to do it on the surface and then equalize every 2-3 feet on descent!
Ber :bunny:

I'm looking for some tips on clearing ears. My wife is taking her OW class right now and she is having a difficult time clearing her ears. She can usually clear one, but not the other. I have told her to make sure she starts clearing right away and not to wait for discomfort in her ears. I also had her yawn and listen for the popping sound you get in both ears; which she did have. She also saw her doctor recently and her ears were clear. She does have allergies, but she takes Allegra D and isn't "stuffy" from her allergies.

What is the problem and what can she do?

I just finished my OW, so I am no expert, but I had the same problem in the pool. Took a couple sniffs of Afrin before my OW and was amazed at the difference. Ears cleared with no problems. BTW, I took my Allegra before the pool sessions and didn't think I was stuffy, either.

Mona

PS - I use Afrin only as an ear-clearing aid. Would never use it for land-based congestion. Addictive stuff, Afrin. But it really did clear my ears.

cal2632:
I just finished my OW, so I am no expert, but I had the same problem in the pool. Took a couple sniffs of Afrin before my OW and was amazed at the difference. Ears cleared with no problems. BTW, I took my Allegra before the pool sessions and didn't think I was stuffy, either.

Mona

PS - I use Afrin only as an ear-clearing aid. Would never use it for land-based congestion. Addictive stuff, Afrin. But it really did clear my ears.

Nose sprays are normally frowned upon for diving. As they may wear off while at depth, you might have a reverse squeeze when ascending.

MD

have her practice clearing her ears on the surface just for fun and then while preparing for a dive before entering the water...kind of like stretching before you workout....

I had occasional problem when I first started diving as well. Tell her to just take the decent real slow and clear constantly as she decends. I would occasionally stop my decent part way down and hover for a couple of minutes - seemed to work. If shes having trouble clearing she should not continue decending as it just makes it worse.

Steve

Have her start by clearing before the descent, and then again immediately after her head is under. Remind her to clear early and often.

Well....I would be hessitant to use any nasal sprays or any other medications pre-diving, without getting the advice of a medical professional in advance.

That said, the best way to overcome problems related to diving is....to dive. Also for ear-clearing: start by pre-equalizing while on the surface, then make slow slow decents, clearing ears every 10-20cm or so, with something to grab on to for stopping whenever there is a problem. I usually tell students in the pool to look at the wall and clear their ears for each wall-tile they go down.

Most likely, your wife will just have to get used to the sensation and find a technique which works for her. Ask her instructor to show her different techniques, and to work with her slowly to figuring out what works for her.

Good luck to your wife :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom