Tips for Indonesia, both beginner & advanced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hallo fellow divers & travellers,

Totally unexpected, I'll be going to Indonesia for 4 weeks from mid-july to mid-august, with my girlfriend. Apart from flying into Jakarta & checking out the vulcanoes, the only thing that's set is visiting some friends in Padang bai, Bali, where she will be doing her Open Water course & I'd like to dive Nusa Penida & Nusa Lembogan.
First time I was there I only did 4 weeks in Bali & dove pretty much all-over, so now I'm looking for some more hidden gems, a bit more off the typical tourist trail than just chilling in the Gilli's for 4 weeks. Basicly any place that's well worth visiting ànd has diving suitable for beginners & still interesting for more experienced divers.
Is Komodo safe & fun for beginners?
I'd be happy to hear some of your tips or even better: maybe we can even meet up along the way somewhere?

Grtz from Belgium

A few ideas......after looking at the volcanos - I presume you mean Bromo etc and Krakatoa and Anak Krakatoa - why not go and dive one in the Sanhige archipeligo N. Sulawesi. While you are there visit Mt Tangkoko to find Tarsiers and Yaki, dive Lembeh, Bunaken and Bangka. If you are a real off the beaten path traveller check out Gorontolo diving and take a trip to Tana Toraja to see the burial cliffs...you might even be lucky enough to catch a funeral ceremony.
Next island - Sumatra - go and check out Lake Toba super volcano in the north, dive Palua Weh, head to the south and take the Ambu Ambu ferry from Padang to the Mentawais, stop at chochoroch port and spend a few days at Cubadak private island - nice diving. There are 17000 islands each with their own unique personalities a bit of research should give you some ideas of where to go. Have a look through some travelblogs regarding Indonesia from independant travellers for the path less trodden spots. Some reading for you :D
Indonesia Travel Blogs, Photos and Forum

Is Komodo safe & fun for beginners?

You can find dives that are safe and fun for beginners in Komodo, but it would be very imprudent to make a general statement that Komodo is "safe and fun for beginners." A large share of the dives are known for currents that can be very challenging for an experienced diver.

Last year we dived around Maumere, Flores. There are some really nice dive sites with lots of corals and also some places for muck-diving. The currents were modest and there aren't a lot of dive operations / divers. In my opinion perfect for both: beginners and advanced divers. In addition it is not too difficult to reach but still a bit off the beaten track compared to other regions in Indonesia.

Thnx for the info so far! Maybe I should add a little info: I'm a Divemaster with +- 250 dives, & my gf will be a newly certified OW-diver. I'm really into UW-photography, but not hardcore-macro. We are both into snorkling aswell. Keep those secret tips coming pls, both underwater & top side ;-)

For the volcanoes, java island only will keep you busy - here my recommended route for java's volcanoes trip.
From Jakarta to Bandung, you can climb mt pangrango and Mount Gede - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (my fav. when i was student due its close proximity to Jakarta), then Tangkuban Perahu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, the easiest one.
Take direction to cirebon for Mount Cereme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia then to tegal - baturaden for Mount Slamet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
On the way to Yogyakarta there's mt. sindoro and merbabu - not very interesting; I'll skip both; this Mount Merapi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is more intersting; the most active volcanoe in Indonesia - probably in the world. Check the latest status - have taken thousand lives.
On the way to madiun Mount Lawu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
There's other volcanoes in east java, but I will skip for the highest mt. in Java, ie. Semeru - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and the most amazing sunrise of Mount Bromo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - very easy.
Before you "swim" to Bali, Ijen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for blue fire crater.

use ferry to Ketapang - Gilimanuk, here where your underwater journey will start: secret bay gilimanuk, menjangan island, pemuteran, puri jati, kubu, tulamben, seraya, candi dasa, padang bai, nusa lembongan/penida and degassing at ubud

don't think your 4 weeks will be enough

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom